Anti-fatigue horse mats in the shop

Folks, I've found a local source for the thick rubber mats used in horse trailers. We've put some down in the service area of a bike shop, and I like them so much, I want some for my wood shop. They're much more comfortable to stand on then concrete, and are easily sweepable.

They are locally sold as 4'x8', I'd like to make several smaller mats from each.

Has anyone ever cut one of these things? How did you do it?

I'm thinking a jigsaw and a smooth knife blade. Comments?

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

an electric carving knife if sharp

Reply to
mel

Not one of those specifically. Depending on how big it winds up being rolled up, I've cut rolled up sheet goods like that on my horizontal bandsaw. Real time-saver, though not a lot of woodworkers have one of these things.

Reply to
Silvan

These guys can't be rolled up, they're 1"+ thick and sold flat. They're designed to withstand forces from a horse's shoe/hoof while a trailer sways back and forth. They are also quite heavy.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Circular Saw?

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Barry,

I have several here at the school and they work very well. I cut them to size with my Bosch jig saw and the knife blade. Cut it clean and was able to follow the line. Good luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

The mats we used in themilking brans are really god. Try a milking farm supply house. I don't know if Surge has them or even if they are still in business- it has been a while. When I was a little kid, we owned 3 dairy farms. Now there are 3 in the whole county (out of over

100 in the 50's) and one of them is closing.

message news:...

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I've used hacksaws or heavy-duty boxcutters with a metal straight-edge. Can't see why any decent electric saw wouldn't work just fine though.

Reply to
Ladd Morse