another sharpening question

After having just read a thread from yesterday regarding sharpening, I have another question. People keep talking about touching up the micro bevel, but isn't it true (I'm just checking to make sure I understand) that each time you touch up the micro bevel, it will become bigger, how many times can you mess with it, or how large should it get before you start again?

Reply to
Doug

True, it will become bigger with each touch up. You can keep going until the micro bevel becomes the entire bevel. However it will take you longer & longer as the micro bevel becomes bigger & bigger. It's up to you how much longer you will tolerate this before staring again,.

Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Sure, I have a scraper that I think is carbide with a 90 deg. blunt end. I can shave cast iron with minimal effort. The business end holds a 1" x 1" x 1/8" piece of metal that is very shiny, almost like chrome, that can be taken out and turned if needed. Was given to me 20 years ago by a guy who worked at a giant manufacturing/machine company. Not really sure what it is but man can it cut metal.

Reply to
RayV

The original micro bevel should be made with only 2 or 3 passes across the stone. When you find that you are making many more passes to sharpen the edge it's time to grind back at the original bevel plus 2 or 3 passes for the new micro bevel.

Reply to
Leon

*Drumroll*

It's a scraper. :)

I think companies like Bridgeport still hand-scrape ways to get them to the proper degree of flatness, but I could be wrong there- at any rate, it's the old way of getting the ways and work surfaces flat for machine tools. Handy thing you've got there- I've never seen one made for the purpose, they're usually just bits of ground-down old files.

Reply to
Prometheus

This looks like it might be the exact tool I have.

RayV