Well, my fiancee and I were working with it and neither of us seem to be
reactive to it, and the samples we were working with were not that oily.
Maybe we should go with her first choice of bloodwood. Neither of us
react to that wood either when working it. And in response to a post
upthread, I've gotten enough bloodwood splinters without a single reaction
that I'm not too worried about it.
Thanks for the comments.
So, you'll never cook for any guests? Just because YOU don't react poorly
to it, does not mean it isn't toxic, at some level, to a significant
portion of the population.
DAGS on wood toxicity, and someone who knows much more about this than I
will have pointers to an excellent resource.
Some risks don't need to be taken, just for art sake.
who has in-laws with allergic reactions to turkey, of all things...
Given that we already have about 4 boards, we'll use one of them when
guests come over. Just like we have one board reserved for nuts that
isn't used when we cook for our friend with the peanut allergy.
I did before I posted the question. Pretty much everything I found was
talking about breathing and contact dermatitis risks.
I take risks, but I like to know what they are first. Heck I enamel using
leaded enamels (along with other nice heavy metals like arsenic, antimony,
cadmium and barium). I use procedures to minimize the risk and get my
blood tested for heavy metals every year.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.