Angled dowel jig

I'm building a stair railing with three rails that has long balusters between the lower two rails and short between the upper two. The stairs have a landing so there's about a 10' section and a 4' section.

Here is a poor picture of the lower section:

the smaller section I drilled dowel holes perpendicular to the rails and the angled ends of the balusters. This didn't work well because any clamping pressure immediately cantilevered the rails. It took a lot of mashing with a mallet and the heel of my hand to get it all together. For the longer section I want to drill the dowel holes parallel to the ballusters. My plan is just to drill some guide holes in a block at the appropriate angle and then clamp the block onto the rails (and later onto the ends of the balusters). Does anyone have any better ideas?

Ken Muldrew

Drill the holes before cutting the angles on the balusters.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Thank you, Jack, I will certainly do that.

Ken Muldrew

It *appears* that you have completed some task out of normal sequence. From the pic it is hard to see much detail as it is from too far back.

Anyway, good luck.

Joe Bemier