Andy Dingley (or anyone): Q on mission furniture

QS WO moves about half as much as plain sawn stock, so Michael's Furniture (in-house Resto domestic manufacturer) is using plain-sawn 8/4 flipped 90 degrees for both lower cost and reducing warranty claims due to wood movement.

Even if I could find 17" wide QS white oak, I doubt more than a 6-7 inch section would be true QS stock, so narrower pieces - five to eight inches wide - are pretty much the limit these days. My library table is about the same size as the Resto desk, and uses 5 sticks for the 28 x 60 top. Over the last year, it's been pretty stable, losing just under a 1/4" in width between seasonal extremes.

FYI - Resto is a great place to get the SWMBO interested in A&C stuff. Although the designs are derivative, the scale is about right and seeing these pieces in the flesh really helps. My cost of about $500 for the library table versus $1800 for Resto's was also a selling point (although the hand-hammered pulls I'd like to put on would jack things up by another $240).

Reply to
TMStock

Just finished Lust Lizard - I'm movin' to Pine Cove to live amongst these folks. I can picture these same goings on - with the people, not the lizard - in the tiny coastal towns of Oregon.

So, which character is Larry Jaques most like? Hmmm. Burton? That why you moved to the backwoods-garden-growing-Grass Pants? Nah, prolly not. I don't think your a scientist, head shrinker or other UCx'er. I'm thinkin' maybe that ol' Catfish? Seen it all, talks smooth with the ladies and sings the blues? I think I identified most with Skinner - where's that Food Guy when ya need 'im?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:39:10 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm looking for it, too. I want copies of all of Molly's movies.

No, I ingest only organic and legal herbs nowadays, thanks. I'd really rather be the lizard and have girls with weedeaters all around me, riding my looooooong tongue.

Well, I gots de blues but I'm the wrong color for a bluesman (though that Jeff Healy dude proves it can be done, and done right.)

And I a dogless Theo. Y'know, single, girlfriendless, living alone in a dogforsaken area, head in a computer most of the time, surrounded by electronics and strange things to do. But, well, I just don't do rats, thanks. But I do exude mediocrity.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques