An online source for laminate, finally - I think

Quite a while back I asked if anyone knew of an online source for laminate for jig material. Well I think I've finally found one, under the name "Garolite". Available at

There are various grades. I'm not sure which one is the typical countertop type laminate. Grade XX in the brown color is cheap. Think I will try that. G-9 is melamine as far as I can tell. They don't have it in as large of sizes as others.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else finds it useful.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

They've got a selector pack (item number 5331k3) for under 20 bucks that has samples of seven grades of Garolite and one of electrical grade fiberglass that's not Garolite. Might be worth risking the twenty and play with the samples before you spend more.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That might be helpful, and I'm glad you gave the item # because I wouldn't have been able to find it otherwise. That site can be a bit of a maze sometimes.

Once you know what term to use in your searches google is your friend. Another source, has larger melamine sheets but $$$

I found it useful as they have the same grade names associated with trademarked names, and bit of info about the X, XX, and XXX grades. Fewer Xs means better mechanical properties, more means better electrical properties.

Because I'm just going to be laminating to a substrate I'm mainly interested in abrasion resistance, I don't think tensile strength is much of a worry. My immediate need is to surface my drum sander table. Right now it's just shellaced ply and it's not holding up well. The router table fence is next after that.

Reply to
Leuf

Not to put down online-ordering, of course, but if you have a Menards near you, they offer pretty good sized sheets of formica in the back of the store near the standard sized prefab countertops.

That way, you can inspect the stuff prior to buying it to make sure it isn't cracked or severely chipped, and can choose between a few different colors.

Reply to
Prometheus

It's a bit of a trek to get to a Borg, so I only head out that way when I need a bunch of stuff that would be expensive to ship. I have an Aubuchon (smaller new england hardware chain) that's closer, I don't think they have that type of stuff though. I need to get some MDF and as determined as I am to buy online whenever possible I'm not going to pay double for termite puke. So I'll be over there soon. But I need to order from mcmaster anyway so I may as well try a sample for the future.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf