Amazon.com

I ordered a DeWalt scroll saw from Amazon.com at a hot price on 15 Dec. Since that time I have had 3 shipping delays and delivery is now projected to be the first part of Feb. They presently advertise this saw as shipping in 24 hrs, but at a price for the saw alone which is more that the package I bought which included the stand and light. Are they trying to back out of a deal, or what? Anyone else have problems with Amazon?

Reply to
woodbutcher

It is probably a prepackaged deal from DeWalt. Amazon might be out of the prepackaged deal, but still have the saw in stock. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

My last order from Amazon was a Dewalt 15ga nailer for $99, including shipping. They honoured the deal and delivered in an acceptable time frame. Your experience isn't typical.

Reply to
mp

I've had a set of Freud planer knives on order since October they keep sending delay notices on...they're advertised at a far cheaper price than anywhere else I've seen so I'm wondering, too...but, they're still listed so, since I'm ordering to have a spare set for when I remove the carbide ones for sharpening, I'll keep on approving the delay for at least a while longer...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I had the same problem with a Delta dust collector for my bandsaw. I got it at a sale price in early December. Amazon listed the item availble for shipping within 24 hours, but I waited 3 weeks. Eventually, they asked me to confirm if I still wanted the shipment, and within hours of confirming I did, they sent me the item via 3-day FedEx.

I had another similar experience with a Delta bandsaw a few weeks ealier. I got a great Amazon sale price $79.99. Weeks went by and no riser. Eventually, they sent me an email to confirm that I still wanted the item and within a short time (a few days, I recall) of repsonding to their email, they sent to me. All the time their web site said the item was available for shipping w/i 24 hours.

All together, it makes me wonder if Amazon is trying to get out of some loss-leader sales. Especially since one tool retailer I spoke with told me that his wholesale price on this item was around $90 and he thought it likely that Amazon was losing money on this item.

Lars

Reply to
Lars Stole

Oops. I meant Delta bandasw RISER.

Reply to
Lars Stole

Supermarkets usually have chicken as a loss leader to get you in the store, but a riser block? What would that tempt you to buy?

Amazon doesn't stock anything but places orders with the manufacturer when the item is sold. At Amazon's prices, they may be on the bottom of the waiting list.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I got some pretty good deals on some Jet equipment. I got the fancy dust collector which has a $100 coupon so when their air filter showed up in my shopping cart at $50 off I reconed, OK $250 is the normal price, its on a one day sale for $199, then I get $50 under the coupon deal and on top of that I can use the standard $25 off an order of $199 or more. So the net is I got that for $125 including delivery.

I got a similar deal on a drill press. Reading the fine print on the discount offer I worked out that since the drill also comes with a coupon I can effectively get $100 off by using it on the dust collector even though the drill press was on offer for $380 and the purchase has to be $399 or more to qualifiy. Anyway after all the discounts I got the thing for $250 delivered.

So yes Amazon has some really good deals, particularly if you can combine them with the manufacturer deals, but the drill press had clearly been opened once before when it arrived which I discovered after the van guy had left.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Wrong Ed! Do you want to explain the warehouse in Grand forks ND, full of tools! I was in it a few years ago. they had to bring a mop and bucket to clean up my drool! They had an army of people attaching shipping labels to boxes. A long conveyor belt was being loaded at one end by warehose workers, sending items to shipping. Allot of activity! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Reply to
daryl1138

Don't be hasty now. How long was that stuff sitting there? Most comes in and goes right out, as you witnessed. Maybe things have changed, but one of the reasons they can sell cheap is merchandise is either brought in as ordered or is held on consignment and the supplier is paid promptly. Amazon never actually owned any inventory, their suppliers did. A lot of retailers work that way but Amazon refined it. It is not uncommon to have a multi item order from Amazon arrive in multiple shipments. Saved them from having to hold product wafting for other parts to arrive.

Next time you are in any retail store, look at the various departments and most are stocked by the shoe seller that is renting space, the greeting card seller that is renting space, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had this same thing happen with a clamp and guide that I ordered. It delayed for months. Finally I called and the woman I spoke with told me that because I picked "super saver" shipping that I would always get bumped if somebody ordered after me and picked an expedited shipping option. I ranted for a few minutes and she upgraded me to next day for free. I had the item 3 days after. What kind of shipping did you choose?

Reply to
00kevin

That certainly could explain my two cases -- in both instances I chose super-saver shipping. Good to know.

Lars

Reply to
Lars Stole

I just called Amazon customer service two nights ago. The guy sure sounded like an American.

(I sent back two items from a single order in the original box. Amazon processed it as two refunds instead of one. They charged me for return shipping twice. They also took off a promotional credit twice instead of once. In the end, they refunded the right amount plus didn't charge for return shipping at all.)

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Your comment , "Amazon doesn't stock anything but places orders with the manufacturer when the item is sold." Is what I was disputing. Amazon definately has a warehouse, and there is inventory in it, so they do have items in "stock". What ever deal they have with the suppliers is beyond me.

To a point you may be right. It is very possible that they base their stock on orders in the system. But other people have placed orders and received product in a resonable time, which would indicate to me that not all the inventory is spoken for.

Many companies work on the basis that their inventory is not paid for. I ran a warehouse for a few years and our two major suppliers always gave us 90 days to pay for a re-stocking order. Considering we re-stocked from the once company every month, I guess we paid for the stock 60 days AFTER we sold it! The other supplier we restocked every 3 months, so most of the inventory was also sold before it was paid for. I am sure we collected the money on our sales long before we paid our suppliers. Smart bussiness, nothing new, it was 15 years ago! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Myself and my brother each ordered a Dewalt scroll saw from Amazon on Dec

  1. The same story exactly as yours on both. We ordered the DW788R, wihich is the reconditioned saw, for 214.99 delivered. They are now telling us early February.

Reply to
Joseph Connors

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:30:30 -0700, Lars Stole wrote (in article ):

My experience is they offer you the option to "cancel" after weeks of waiting and if you don't cancel, they ship the next day 8^)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Thats not unusual, but the arrangement that Amazon has will be even more favorable to Amazon. Amazon works in a very similar way to Wal-Mart, they integrate their IT systems with their suppliers. There are no warehouses any more, Amazon is the warehouse.

Phill

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

I've had mostly great success with Amazon, but I am waiting right now for an item that I ordered back in November! And no, it didn't get shipped after I approved the late delivery extension. Mine is a case where the item is truly out of stock.

Reply to
philly

I've ordered from Amazon several times and have not had any delays. In fact, the turn-around time has been shorter from Amazon than other mail-order places.

Reply to
Phisherman