Adding a greenhouse to my shop

I am thinking either building from scratch or purchasing a kit greenhouse to attach to my woodworking/misc. shop. This would be a "lean-to" type that comes off the back (south facing) side of the shop.

I am wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and/or whether there are special considerations I should have for it. Specifically, the siding on my shop is the T1-11 plywood siding over housewrap over foam and regular roll insulation inside, then panelling inside. Will the moisture from inside the greenhouse cause problems for the siding or insulation, or even the woodworking shop inside?

Looking for any tips, advice, etc.

Cheers! Dukester

Reply to
opalko

You probably can defeat any moisture problems at the shop side, but you may not be able to easily defeat any moisture problems if there's an entry or other opening into the greenhouse from the shop. The greenhouse moisture, though, will quickly rot T1-11, so you need some other surface on that area. You might be OK with housewrap alone on the side of the shop, or a good coat of enamel on the plywood might do the job.

Reply to
Charlie Self

...depending upon what you intend to grow in there, how water is applied and what kind of venting you intend to have.

If your green house is for cacti (I've been in a few) I'd expect no problems. Even an orchid house might be o.k. if you water discreetly and ensure that the plants dry thoroughly between waterings (a must). Sealed, un- watered T1-11 will likely endure this exposure for many years. Probably easier on siding than Seattle weather.

Reply to
bfay