7/32" Forstner Bit?

First try seemd to solve the problem. A new sharp brad point bit and increasing the speed of the drill press, eliminated the chip out between the holes

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

You can also try this. Get a 7/32" piece of steel tubing and sharpen the inside edge. (You are making a paper drill.) Chuck this up and slice through the top layers of the wood, then change to your brad point and drill the hole.

The paper drill will burnish the wood and this should prevent the chipping.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Ken Johnsen wrote: : I need to drill 7/32" holes within an eight inch of each other. With my : normal bits Iget splintering in between the holes. A forstner bit would : prevent this but my smallst is 1/4". Does anyone know if 7/32" forstner bits : are available? A google search didn't show any results

The cleanest drilling bits I've ever used are brad point bits with spurs on the outside. One excellent brand is Fisch's Vortex series, which at least used to be sold at Woodcraft. Lee Valley also sells an excelent line.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss