60Hz to 50Hz with inverter?

Hi, I'm thinking of moving some of my smaller machines to Europe. They are currently using 220VAC single phase motors for 60Hz (up to 5HP) . In Europe I have access to either 3-phase 380VAC/50Hz or single-phase

220VAC/50Hz. Can someone give me an advise? Can I use some sort of inverter setup with a transformer, etc? Reason I'm asking is that I can

get free inverters from a friend of mine. I could actually get a 11KVA inverter for free and it should perhaps be big enough for running more than one machine. But I guess I need a transformer on its output? And to complicate things my motors are single-phase. BK

Reply to
bkarlstrom

Hi BK,

Most induction motors are rated for both 50 Hz and 60 Hz. Check the name plate. You shouldn't have any trouble running your 220v single phase induction motors on Euro 50 Hz power. You will lose a few RPMs but otherwise there will be no ill effects.

Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

snipped-for-privacy@berzelius.com wrote:

Reply to
ejb

snipped-for-privacy@berzelius.com wrote: > Hi, > I'm thinking of moving some of my smaller machines to Europe. They are > currently using 220VAC single phase motors for 60Hz (up to 5HP) . In > Europe I have access to either 3-phase 380VAC/50Hz or single-phase > 220VAC/50Hz. Can someone give me an advise? Can I use some sort of > inverter setup with a transformer, etc?

An inverter converts DC into AC.

US motors(60Hz) won't operate on European(50Hz) power.

50Hz requires more iron in the motor,

Lowest cost solution:

Buy 50Hz motors in Europe.

BTW, Europe operates on 380/220/3Ph/50Hz, 4 wire Y which provides

380/3Ph and 220/1Ph from the same source.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Wilson

The only machines I can think this would be worthwhile for would be just the sort that's most easily installed - 230V single phase 50Hz of

2 or 3hp. For these you simply wire them up.

European spec for control gear though is _much_ better than US practice. If you're commercial, educational or needing insurance then you'll need to comply with this. For anyone else it's just a damn good idea anyway. You need an isolator switch (a special type of double pole switch, usually lockable too) and most importantly a no-volt release (magnetic contactor) switch.

Standard US-issue magnetic latch switches are not acceptable and the idea of using toggle switches on machinery will produce stares of amazement.

You'll also need to meet the PUWER 98 reg for importing machine tools, esp. as regards time for machines to either coast to a stop, or needing electrical brakes added. If you web search, then the UK HSE has a good PDF explanation of the rules.

Any decent electrician (UK at least) will be able to sort you out, and this switchgear is hardly expensive either. However fitting electric braking seems to attract rip off pricing.

Inverters produce AC. Many of them (single to three phase converters) are also AC powered. If you _really_ needed to shift frequency (perhaps for a 400Hz motor) then you might well use an inverter, otherwise I think it's unlikely.

You might want to use an electronic 3-phase inverter if you either have money to burn or you want the variable frequency drive for speed control. For any other phase conversion purposes though, go for a rotary converter first.

I've not yet seen a motor that was so poorly designed and under-rated that shifting from 60 to 50 Hz was enough to cause problems, for typical workshop duty cycles. OTOH I'm far from impressed with US electrics and build quality, so maybe they do exist.

Reply to
dingbat