5 ROUTER JIGS

It starts by saying: "Why buy a commercial jig when making one yourself will triple your enjoyment? First, you'll experience the joy of building a useful shop fixture from nothing more than some scrap wood and a good idea. Second, you'll enjoy the money you'll save. And finally, as all woodworkers understand, you'll have the satisfaction that comes with saying, "I made it myself." "

Which basically describes why I make a lot of my own stuff, instead of buying.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

There's also the thought process that is developed over time, that enables one to whip up custom solutions on the spot.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Sat, Mar 1, 2008, 8:07am snipped-for-privacy@DunderMifflin.com (Bonehenge=A0(B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y)) doth sayeth: There's also the thought process that is developed over time, that enables one to whip up custom solutions on the spot.

I believe background plays in too. If you've always bought your stuff, you're not as apt to whip up something on your own. And some peopole just want someone else to solve their problem. I could buy gadgets, but they usually don't do just what I need, I can make one that works juse like I need, and is cheap - one thing I would NEVER buy is a push stick or push block. Beats the Hell out of paying big bucks for some gizmo that doesn't 'quite' do what I need, and needs to be tweaked to come close.

I sit down, close my eyes, think of what I want done. Then think about how I can do it. Then think about it some more. Sometimes I change it several ltimes like that before I even start on it. Then go out and start putting it together. Usually it works, sometimes not. If not I think about it, modify it, or make another. I visualize this stuff in my mind, which supposedly a lot of people can't do. Personally, I think more people could do it, if they just tried. I also visualize in color, which I'm told not everyone can do. That seems a bit odd, but maybe so. Like Grany Weatherwax says, all you've got to do is get your mind right.

I had figured out a router jig for routing out my shilouette chess pieces. Made one, and workable, but just a bit too narrow. Started another, but figured a way that would possibly be better, so held up. As I was typing this, figured out an even better, much simpler, and more effecient jig. I'll use that one. And so it goes.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

My wife sees an upholstered chair by the overall shape and the pattern of the fabric - I see the wire frame view and turn it around and upsidedown to evaluate construction and center of gravity.

I definitely agree on the make vs buy on many things - push sticks and featherboards should be required beginner projects ;-)

John

Reply to
John

Sat, Mar 1, 2008, 5:05pm snipped-for-privacy@sig.net (John) doth sayeth: I definitely agree on the make vs buy on many things - push sticks and featherboards should be required beginner projects ;-)

Totally agree. Even if my pushsticks last past one use, I usually toss them. I do use pushblocks multiple times, even so they are usually chewed up enough to toss by at least the thiird use. That could get damn expensive, damn fast, if you were buying.