4 foot LED "shop" lighting

Have at it.

Reply to
krw

Diesel in Pgh Pa, which is in North America, costs more than gas. I just looked on YP and diesel is around $2.85 gal and regular gas is around $2.50.

Reply to
Jack

...and if I'm reading this chart correctly, diesel is - on average - more expensive than regular gas across the entire US, including reformulated Areas

DerbyDad03

Less routine maintenance. OK. But the routine maintenance they do need is twice as expensive as gasoline motors. So maybe the same total cost between gas and diesel. And when it comes to actual repairs, you pay twice or triple the cost for a diesel repair than a gas repair. Diesel needs repairs too. Just like gas.

Last longer. OK. But you pay an extra $5000 up front. So you pay for this extra lifespan. Its not free.

Not sure but maybe overall the total cost between diesel and gas is about the same. Higher up front cost, higher repair cost, higher maintenance cost per event, is made up for longer lifespan, less maintenance, and maybe, maybe less overall repair. Ain't nothing free. If you need the benefits of diesel, extra power and extra fuel efficiency, its worth it. But if you really don't need that, then probably best to stay away.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Federal gasoline tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. Diesel federal tax is 24.4 cents per gallon. Each state also charges taxes on gas and diesel.

States are usually a bit higher on diesel tax than gas tax. But not always. And the amount difference can be a few pennies or 15 cents different. So it varies by state.

In general diesel pays more tax. In general its 15 cents more per gallon with both state and federal. Where I live that is about the difference in price per gallon at the pump. Factor in the 10-20-30% better efficiency of diesel motors over gasoline motors compared to the extra 7% cost of diesel per gallon (0.15 / 2.30) and you are going to have to drive a lot of miles to make diesel pay for itself. Or really need the extra power of a diesel engine.

Reply to
russellseaton1

You clearly do not live in New England. I have seen $1.00/gallon difference between diesel and unleaded. Investigate and it's state tax.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What evidence to back up that claim. The rate chart as of Jan this year shows for:

Total Excise Tax + Fee/Tax for Gasoline and Diesel, respectively to be:

Maine 30.0 31.2 Vermont 30.81 32.0 New Hampshire 23.825 23.825 Massachusetts 24.0 24.0 Connecticut 25.0 46.5 (+8.1% on petroleum tax on gas) Rhode Island 35.0 35.0

Only Connecticut has any significant difference at all.

Adding the classic whipping boys of NY, NJ

New York 25.45 23.65 +unstated petroleum sales tax New Joisey 41.4 48.5 unstated petroleum fee

Nothing there to approximate a dollar difference owing to taxes/fees

Reply to
dpb

The sign at the gas station.

That's now. When gas is $4 a gallon check again.

That river you swim in contains crocodiles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Engine teardowns, sure they're expensive. Most don't bother with gasoline engines. By that time the vehicle is worth less than an engine job.

You didn't read what I wrote, did you?

No, I didn't think so.

Reply to
krw

And if the turbo diesel gives 26% better economy you are still (marginally) ahead - and just the therm density is, I believe. 15% better by volume. AVERAGE deisel eficiency is about 25% better than average gasoline, historically.

For a high mileage fleet operator deisel wins hands down - while for the low mileage urban commuter it makes no sense at all.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

As I said previously, fuels are often priced "per therm" - and with deisel being 15% more energy dense by volume. that would make diesel $2.87 per gallon to match gasoline so it is still a 2 cent per gallon "real" advantage.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

There is a gas station on my way to work that sells high-test for $4.00 a gallon. The same premium gas is available at Costco for $2.75 a gallon, and is around $3.00 gallon at most other gas stations.

One sign at one gas station? Meaningless data.

In other words, you can't support your assertion.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, there ARE such things. Good luck finding them when the consumer literature describes the fixture without reference to them. This is one investigation...

whit3rd