3D CNC Wood Carving With Small Cutters

This is going to sound silly, but what cutters or coating is going to have the best life. I mostly work with aluminum and flood coolant which gives me quite long cutter life, but I am working on a wood project and I am seeing results which look like the cutter is getting dull about mid project.

(1/16 ball end cutter, and I need to finish with a 1/32 cutter)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It may be getting coated/clogged with resin from the wood. A soak in Simple Green and then a toothbrushing could solve the problem. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Hit send too soon. Another possibility is that you are machining a high silica content wood. If so, the SiO2 dulls steel edges rapidly. Can you use carbide bit(s)? Art

Reply to
Artemus

I am already using a high quality micro grain carbide cutter. This job is in red oak which is fairly hard as woods go. I was wondering if a diamond coated or zirn coated carbide cutter might last longer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You don't say what kind of wood - many have a lot of silica in the wood. Carbide is the best. Don't use C2 wood working carbide - go steel working tools - C5 or higher.

Wood is bad on cutters.

I used to cut fiberglass with a 10 mil cutter and that was great carbide.

Mart> This is going to sound silly, but what cutters or coating is going to

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks. I am using the same cutters I normally use on aluminum. They are definitely not lasting as long on wood as they do on aluminum. This project is oak. Looks like red oak.

Reply to
Bob La Londe