2x4 clamps

never tried these but like the idea but a little but pricey

would come in handy from time to time for a big project that needs clamping

then when you are done you can use the 2 bys for something else

Reply to
Electric Comet

Less expensive still,

Leon

That picture looks like it was set up by the art department. I would have to assume that any woodworker would position the movable jaw such that the crank handle was past the end of the 2x4. What a pain it would be to tighten it where it is now.

I'm pretty sure you could get 3/4" pipe clamp hardware + a pretty long pipe for about the same amount.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Slide, turn, slide, turn, slide, turn. I've often had to position C-clamps such that I couldn't make full turns with the handle.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ever thought about drilling and tapping the end so you could put a piece of threaded rod and a nut in there? Or filing off a hex pattern so you can get a socket on there? Some red loctite would probably hold just fine in both directions. That way, you could turn it with a socket wrench.

I realize not every C-clamp has enough meat on the end to make this possible. And that the lead screw could be hardened...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm not looking to modify any C-clamps, I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't really be all that much of a pain to use that clamp even if the jaw was positioned In the middle of the 2x4.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a pair of Lee Valley wonder dogs for my bench:

When I needed some long clamps, I just dripped some 3/4 holes in a twoby. What's nice about these is you can raise them to easily turn the handle.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

That's drilled, not dripped. Haven't figured out how to drip a hole yet, but working on it.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I use 'kan't twist' C clamps that were designed by Navy retired for the Navy.

Normally used on metal for clamping and welding or drilling. I have 1" to large 10" or maybe 8". I use them when I need to clamp.

4 1/2"

The center grove clamping face can be rotated 180 to be a flat on one or both.

And they are powerful. MSC sells them and amazon sellers.

I'm using mine to clamp 4x4 and 2x6 oak boards so I can drill and screw.

Mart> >>> never tried these but like the idea but a little but pricey

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

i have some of these this is a good idea

Reply to
Electric Comet