12" Record Storage

Would anyone be able to supply me with a design for storing my vinyl records? Some sort of cupboard or chest would be useful.

Thanks

Joel

Reply to
jbellj

There are a gazillion styles of furniture so determine what style you like first. Take any design you like for a bookcase or cabinet and change the dimensions. Make the shelves about 13" apart, and at least 12 1/2" deep, by as wide as fits in the space you need/have. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for your input Ed. The thing is I haven't got much experience in building anything like this. I was looking for some ideas that's all. I was looking for some sort of low cabinet. Or has anyone made anything like this before?

Joel

Reply to
jbellj

What's a record?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Friend of mine runs a record label. He finds interesting new releases (like Alison Krause) on CD, then signs the artist up for a release on good old black vinyl. There's still an interest in vinyl, and it's not just either the obscure S/H collectors, or the gold-plated audiophiles.

Andy Dingley

You're quite right Andy there is huge amount of vinyl still being sold these days, think of all those DJ's out there. Most good record stores will still have a reasonably large vinyl section.

Anyway does anyone have any inspiration regarding my storage unit for my vinyl collection? Someone must have built something like this before.

Joel

Reply to
jbellj

Buy a biscuit jointer and get to it. Some sort of cube hutch arrangement, built from ply or MDF. If you don't already have a table saw with a sliding sled, then either find/make one, or get all your sawing done by the sheetgoods supplier. A good supplier has a much better panel saw than you or I will ever have, and if you ask them when they're not busy, or wait a day or two, then they'll saw whatever you need accurately for a small fee.

Store them vertically, keep the horizontal dimension down to roughly the same size, so as to avoid toppling problems. Strength isn't a problem, as there are enough verticals in this structure to support whatever weight you might need - just give it a solid base.

External case is just either a built-in, or a wardrobe. Search and pick any style you like.

Andy Dingley

First, picture the milk crates that you kept your records in back "in the day" (as my kids would say). Now, picture them stacked up, sitting side-by-side, or both (your preference). Then picture them made of wood.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall