1/2" Overlay Hinge Help

Hi,

I am in the process of refacing my kitchen cabinets during which I am also replacing all of the cabinet hardware. I have face-frame cabinets. The old hinges are 1/2" overlay partial wrap self-closing hinges. I would have no problem re-using them except for the fact that I am replacing the pulls with a different finish. I am having a heck of a time finding this type of hinge in a brushed satin nickel finish (the same as my pulls). So my questions to you guys, the pros, are:

1) Anyone know of a place where I can find this type of hinge in the finish I am looking for?

2) I have read a lot about European-style hinges which are fully-concealed. I'd love to use those but they all seem to require drilling a mortise(?) (sorry, I'm not sure of the correct terminology) in the doors themselves so they can be installed properly. Unfortunately I do not have the tools nor the woodworking skills to do that on my own. Are there similar hinges that would not require this extra step? I've seen "non-mortise" fully-concealed hinges but I am not sure if they will work with my specific set up here (plus they're pretty expensive, $6.99/pair, and I'm on a pretty strict budget!)

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help!

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Hi Brian, if you are interested in the European style hinges, have a look at

or
They are the leading suppliers. You don't need to cut mortises for the classical European hinges, it is just a blind hole to be drilled with a forstner bit. This can be done easily with any drill-press or even free hand.

Regards from old Europe

Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Mühe

Normally just a 1-3/8" hole drilled 1/8" in from the out side edge of the door and 1/2" deep. I use Blum hinges from Woodworkers Supply and pay about $1.17 each in even quantities of 50. I almost exclusively use this type hinge now. The hole is best drilled with a flat bottom Forstner bit.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
nospambob

Brian wrote:>Hi,

Checked Rockler, or Lee Valley? The fully concealed Euro-type hinge needs a flat-bottomed hole in the door, usually, what, an inch and three-eighths by a half-inch deep? There's $15-$20 there for the Forstner bit, and Rockler sells a jig that allows you to use a hand-held drill motor to get reasonable results... Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Oups, make the Woodworkers Hardware NOT Supply

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to everyone for the good advice! You've helped a lot!

Reply to
Brian