Subject Author Posted Replies

BLTdirect incandescent sale
is having a final sale of its remaining incandescent bulbs, if anybody wants any.
3
3

Computer data back-up schemes.
Following on from my HD question: I currently back up my photo's and music to an external 3.5" HDD, and important documents to four different USB sticks. I do this as-and-when I remember. I feel that...
49
49

Computer harddrive replacement question.
Hello. I have a windows 10 machine which boots from a 240 GB SSD plugged into a SATA port. It is a Crucial CT240 M500 drive. I have a 4 TB HDD plugged into a SATA port. It is a Seagate BarraCuda...
29
29

Heat pump levy? Not sure if this is genuine.
<>Interesting reading if true. Cheers Dave R
10
10

uPVC Window Will not open
My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight. When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free. From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is turned to the locked position,...
5
5

Parkside carpet cleaner flood
I bought this PWS 20C2 carpet cleaner from Lidl in Feb this year. First time of use soon after purchase it worked ok. Now in September, second time of use with same shampoo, foaming water blasting out...
3
3

Putty knives
I replaced some of the putty on some window frames today. It went ok, with a bit of trial and error to trim the putty neatly. I used a putty knife similar to this one: are putty knives mostly that...
9
9

OT characteristics of diesel engines
I've just bought a VW Caddy with a 1.6 TDI diesel engine, having not had a diesel engine before I'm wondering how they differ from petrol. One thing I've noticed is that if I'm driving slowly for...
40
40

Fake grouting
Is there anything I could use to grout some tiles, but which could be easily removed should the need arise? Normal grout sticks to the surfaces and coheres into a solid mass which is hard to remove....
19
19

OT: For those with blind faith in peer reviews
A Leading Article from The Times of yesterday (9/9/23) relates to a piece also in yesterday's Times, by Dr Brown in which he describes how he has to cherry-pick what he talks about in order to get...
4
4

Aircon vs dehumidifier in this weather
I realise that an aircon unit will both cool the air and remove humidity. However in this weather I am finding the relative humidity (75%+) to be more of an issue than the actual temperature. Dry heat...
37
37

RAAC?
Looking at the Dept of Education for Reinforced Aerated Autoclaved Concrete (RAAC) it suggests that preliminary identification is: - concrete planks about 2' wide - pale grey or white colour -...
69
69

Well that could have been messy...
The other day SWMBO commented that the sewage interceptor tank was smelling a bit in the hot weather. (this is a 800 gallon brick lined cavity in the ground that takes the raw sewage, and the...
4
4

[well OT] Tour of Brtiain Cycle Race
As the Lycra Louts pass the end of our road on route to Gloucester today I was reading the suggested rules for spectators. I reckon only us old geezers will have been around long enough to see what...
40
40

Ghost lettering
Adam's away on hols at the moment, so he can't post to the group. But he's asked me to show you what he spotted parked in Filey ... <> File:IMG 20230909 083405.jpg - DIYWiki File:IMG 20230909...
9
9