Subject Author Posted Replies

Time for a Makita drill?
The 8391 18 volt NiCad combi kit with two batteries is featured in CPC today for £90 + vat (so actually the Screwfix offering at £99 including VAT is cheaper). I have an old (non hammer) Ryobi 14.4...
11
11

OT The Olympic Games
Is it only me who considers the Games to be a huge waste of money, another fuck up waiting to happen and that the money could have been better spent on the NHS? I live in the north and will not see a...
175
175

Bathroom shaver socket
Rather than install a standard large shaver socket in the tiled wall my idea is to put a single switched outlet inside a cupboard in zone 3 of the bathroom. I would connect my contactless shaver...
6
6

Electric hedge trimmer
Does anyone know if the Wickes Electric Hedge trimmer is OK or just cheap crap? We need a trimmer to do some smallish beech hedges and the occasional conifer. Don't want to spend much since they won't...
2
2

Grinding burr
Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix, Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits, but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.
13
13

Wickes real wood flooring
I've just started to lay some Wickes real oak tongue and groove flooring. This has 2 grooves cut on the back of the boards and uses thin metal clips to hold adjacent boards together. This is proving...
9
9

ramp for disability buggy.
I need to make a ramp so that a small disability machine get in and out of the house whilst carrying a person. The ground clearance of the machine is 40mm. The door threshold is 75mm above the...
27
27

And after making the phone call.......
will they sent someone round to wipe their arses after they have had a shit? "Marketing director Paul King said youngsters who didn't have stable families and had dropped out of school "appreciated...
10
10

Replacing downlighters - hole now too big!
I'm in the process of replacing the old bathroom downlighters as part if a refurb; the old ones are 1st-gen el-cheapo Screwfix ones and are clapped out. Problem is that the existing holes in the...
24
24

Who is going to be the 500th?
Just noticed that the wiki is sitting on 499 pages of proper content pages (i.e. excluding talk pages etc)... Perhaps there ought to be a prise for the author of the 500th? other stats: Over 1,500...
9
9

McAllister chainsaw
Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc Would only be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.
5
5

Re: Baxigas convectot
DogDog014 formulated on Friday : If its not igniting, it is either no gas flow or the igniter is failing to ignite it. Have you tried lighting it with a match? The thermocouple failing would be...
1
1

Re: 18 volt cod 18vcn battery macallister nailer
Sadly it often costs more to fit new cells as to buy a complete new tool at the budget end. Or indeed replacement batteries complete. IIRC, MacAllister is B&Q own brand cheapy. The offerings from Lidl...

Power outlet on vacuum cleaner
The better vacuum cleaners designed to suck up sawdust etc come with a power outlet which is "current sensitive" (not sure that's right): when you turn on the saw, planer, or whatever plugged into...
2
2

Re: How can I participate in the London Olympics
Hmm, maybe he might like to man the immigration and customs channels when the Home office staff have their strike? Brian