Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning pewter
I have 2 pewter tankards dated 1877. They are quite seriously tarnished. Should I clean them? If so what with? They are trophies for sports, lidded and with glass bottoms. Made by James Dixon & Sons....
12
12

Depth for fence post issue.
Putting in 2 fence posts, one should be ok, the other is next to the house. I have managed to dig down about a foot and appear to have hit concrete, its about 6 inches out from the house wall so could...
13
13

Car opened.
A number of older Citreons suffer from this universal unlocking syndrome. Its either a dodgy contact or crimp connector on those, but I'd have though VW used better parts. Its that old single point of...
53
53

Winches
He has been complaining about my boat trailer in his path, so my son cut down some trees and we parked the 4-LandRoverWheel trailer alongside his shed. We used the Disco, but had to use a ratchet...
6
6

Binding disk brake, 150 miles after MOT :(
Had my Vauxhall Zafira serviced and MOTed about 6 weeks ago. I don't do many miles in it, only 150 since then in fact. At the weekend I was on the motorway when I noticed a whistling sound from the...
20
20

Plumbing with lead solder
I moved some stuff about in the bathroom last weekend and used solder ring joints for the plumbing, adding a bit of solder to each joint. I have a roll of fat, cumbersome solder I normally use so...
29
29

Ow ! Bloody OW !!!
At least three people have died from the fall. They suffered heart attacks while bungee jumping. Colin Bignell
17
17

Wind Farming, its the new council house....
Grammar makes about as much sense as the idea; spin being put on this development is that it will pay for 500 new homes, quite why a Housing Assosciation is getting involved in power generation and in...
7
7

OT - I don't suppose anyone out there has copy of the olympics opening ceremony by any chance?
S-i-L wants to see it
21
21

Water efficiency calculator: determining flow rates
As part of building control for a new build, I need to submit a water efficiency statement for part G. I've found the water efficiency calculator, but I'm having trouble finding the flow rates for the...

Canon MX860 power supply
The power supply unit in my MX860 printer has died. It's a a plug-in unit accessed from underneath the casing, so it should be easy enough to replace (though I haven't yet tried removing it). Every...
7
7

OT car Insurance
Is it worth having NCB protected? also with all these solicitors offering "no fee" contracts is it worth having legal cover these days?
12
12

Promession
Shamelessly crossposted. I've done a bit of reading on promession over the last few years but have seen nothing of late. It last appeared that the English lot had a falling out with the Swedish lot....
43
43

Black Sandtex type finish
I need to refinish a contrast panel on the outside of the m-in-law's house. It is a Scottish harled house in white but has a panel in black. As far as I can see this is not painted but is coated with...
1
1

Garage door rusting
My garage door is rusting at the top and at the sides. Last autumn I took the rust off and down to bare metal. Undercoated and top coated, but to no avail, the rust is back again. I seem to remember...
4
4