Zanussi Freezer stopped - but it works now

We have an elderly (OK, certainly less than 20 years old) Zanussi Freezer. Anyway, it stopped working, why I would not know. Hit and/or pulled and wiggled almost anything visible, to no apparent effect. Later - it had started working again - it is so silent that I only knew it had because the heat exchanger had warmed up.

Is this a question? If it is, anyone have an answer? I know that it is pathetic, but a freezer is not rocket science in principle. Shall I trust it now? Etc?

It's a sort of 3 ft tall one, if that helps.

GOG

Reply to
GOG

A key question is whether it is a frost-free freezer. If so, then a problem with the timer apparatus which stops cooling and melts the ice, usually every 24 hours, may be the culprit.

Otherwise, a bit more detail of the symptoms might help. How long was it not working? How did you notice?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon