You and Yours at it again.

Correct - you only need to provide heat to one part of the body, for that heat to be circulated to the rest of the body by the blood stream.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That does assume good circulation - which the elderly may not have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but equally, if one part is excessively cold heat from the reat of the body goes there.

Reply to
charles

was technically feasible.

Insulation is cheap in a new build: heat recovery ventilation - depends

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Drivel. No-one can say how much energy would be needed. Depends on the insulation value of the clothes and the ambient temperature. Good enough insulation and no heating at all needed.

We all generate around 100W even when seated.

Reply to
harryagain

Not so. The extremities are always vulnerable even if you don't suffer from poor circulation. It is very easy to keep the trunk warm, or even too warm if your are active but hands and particularly feet still get cold. I suffer badly from cold feet these days even though the NHS in its collective wisdom insists I do not have a circulation problem. Cold feet can be painful. I find that getting the feeling back in feet or hands that have previously gone numb with cold is so painful that I do my utmost to avoid getting that cold.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Would you wear it whilst travelling somewhere by air?

Reply to
Adrian

yes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You'll be lucky.

Huge

well the answer is to have two batteries of less than 100wh each and take the jacket off. Planes are usually warm enough ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aye, my job involves being basically inactive for two hours outside with temps at or below zero. Hands and feet can get pretty cold in that time, even with boots, two pairs of socks, motorcycling gloves and thermal under wear plus normal cold weather clothing. Core temp doesn't drop but losing contact with toes and fingers is common.

Hum, google chill blains? Might not be full blown chill blains just the early signs. Can be aliviated by not letting hands and feet get cold (doh!) and warming up slowly if they do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :

..and heres me at 67, still wearing shorts in December lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

...at which point, security leap on you as a suicide bomber. Always assuming you didn't get tugged at the security barrier, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

It takes all sorts. Coming off a Scottish hill one Easter (early 80s) on a bitterly cold day and in a stiff breeze I had all my gear on with the exception of the spare sweater that always lurked in the bottom of my rucksac when I met a red faced man flogging his way up the hill at quite a lick in shirtsleeves and shorts. He didn't stop for a chat for which I was grateful as even standing still for any length of time would have had me shivering in that wind.

I haven't worn shorts on a regular basis since short trousers for school ceased to be compulsory at the start of the third year at secondary school.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

outside

gloves

Are you a Postman? I haven't the legs for shorts, they would scare the horses.

Try sitting still for 2 hours, outside, in the wind, with air temps below 2 or 3 C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You don't seem to have traveled Transatlantic recently. All the airlines are bloody freezing! I wear my winter coat over a woolly jumper over a thick shirt and a thermal vest and just about survive.

Reply to
Capitol

Nothing like that, retired now. Like many I had to wear short pants until until 10/11 at school. I then wore long pants for much of my life until around 40, when I rediscovered shorts for hot weather, but obviously never at work.

Since retiring, I have worn them while ever it was warm enough and I usually wear them anyway in the house. I've been not uncomfortable in them out in the workshop / garage, up until the past couple of days.

They really are much more comfortable than long pants. The house is kept too warm for me.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Doesn't seem to suggest a limit for "in equipment" which a jacket would be...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Less damage to the fabric when you fall over and skin your knees.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon