www.diy.com

Seems to be broken. I wonder if they could use a hand fixing it?
(It's a pity because I wanted to see if they did a specific hard-to-find item before setting off: 15mm 45-degree solder elbows. None of my local places even have the old-fashioned solder-them the hard-way ones, and while I can normally do that I've run out of solder too, and don't really want to buy any more just to make the final couple of joints in my project.
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote:

wickes part no 194 623 yorkshire style screwfix 72242 end feed type

Thanks for that. Now I need to find a Wickes!

Referred to above.
Now that B&Q's back from his afternoon nap, I see they have it[1] for £2.68, and before anyone says "it's the price of copper, guv" you can get 60cm of plain tubing for that amount of money. Right-angle ones are generally about 60p in packs of 10.
[1] FSVO, my nearest is out of stock. How hard can it be to keep something like that in stock??
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote:

It is not a commonly used part. Most people would bend 15mm pipe for a 45 degree bend
Screwfix yorkshire type no 38267 1.79 ea

Thanks. Now why couldn't I get their search engine to throw up that item?
--
Roland Perry

On Sunday 04 August 2013 09:43 Roland Perry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Because it's a piece of crap coded by morons[1].
[1] A moron is anyone not using Google Custom Search and who cannot code a search engine as well or better than Google :0

Roland Perry wrote:

If you can get them for 6p each, then please get me 1000 next time you see them.
On 03/08/2013 20:56, A.Lee wrote:

I think he might mean 60p each, when you bulk buy 10.
--
Chris

On 03/08/2013 20:56, A.Lee wrote:

Toolsatan do the 45 degree ones @ 47p
the 90 degree version are £5.69 for 25.

There's one just opened in Cambridge, FWIW... (and SF/TS too)
Wilkinson is also worth a look occasionally (every time I go in they've reorganised, so I'm never sure if they've given up stocking some things)

It's B&Q. They do that.

I suspect B&Q is a bit like Argos - they list everything, but the smaller ones don't actually carry much stock. At least Argos have a working search.
Theo
On 03/08/2013 23:58, Theo Markettos wrote:

Our local one being one of the non-warehouse branches, despite being a fair size and having had a mezzanine added, this "only in warehouse" issue is a major pain. That their site is so bad prevents me even bothering to check them at all 99% of the time.
--
Rod

That was the fourth of my local stores I looked in yesterday.

It's possible they never stock it I suppose. Not enough room for a peg to hang it from. In which case they really need a different flag like "larger stores only".
--
Roland Perry

On 04/08/2013 09:49, Roland Perry wrote:

And a means of identifying which stores are "larger", or gigantic or however they make the cut-off work.
I mean, they are all huge compared with my house.
--
Rod

They already have them sorted into several categories, including mini-Warehouse, Warehouse and Supercentre.
--
Roland Perry

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 11:06:32 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Life was a lot simpler when our B&Q opened in 1979...!

It was. Anyway, back from Screwfix with my elbows now, thanks to everyone for the help.
--
Roland Perry

On 04/08/2013 09:49, Roland Perry wrote:

It wouldn't matter if they had a decent website and a real-time stock checker, but it is incredibly difficult to find what you want on their website and the stock-check is only updated at intervals, so they can run out yet still say they've got stock. It doesn't help that they've got some very thick or can't be bothered staff. Our local store had only two 22mm/10mm maifolds in, both with all the nuts and olives missing for 18 months or more. Presumably no more were ordered because they had stock and that stock wasn't going to sell because of the missing parts - yet they'd done at least two stock-takes in that time and hadn't noticed the (very obviously) open bags!
SteveW

You could have bought them and returned them later after new stock had come in...
Toolstation had a similar problem: two shelf uprights in stock, I wanted three. So I bought the two in the hope of triggering a restock. Didn't work, because distribution centre was OOS too. Ended up ordering 3 from the online folks (different warehouse, £10 minimum order = 3 uprights) and collecting from the store - returned 2x uprights, collected 3x identical uprights.
Theo
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:42:58 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Hand?
Or hand grenade?
One of the worst web sites for a large corporate I have ever seen.
TLA is TFU.
Cheers
Dave R
On Saturday 03 August 2013 14:42 Roland Perry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I issue a google search:
site:diy.com "some search term"
If you hit google images with that query, you can usually find what you wnat pretty fast, then on to the page containing the image.