Wrought Iron Rust

In message , Chris Holford writes

So, what is the recommended answer? I too have a couple of gates that need painting, and if not modern Hammerite, then what? Just any decent modern gloss paint?

Reply to
Graeme

Yes. But best to find an oil based one. I'm not convinced all the rust removal and special priming and special painsts in the world will be cost/time effective against just cleaning and removing any obvious loose rust and slapping it on direct.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get it professionally grit blasted first and then paint it starting with a decent zinc primer. If you can, try and get some of the stuff used on the Forth Bridge.

Hammerite has changed because of VOC 2010. I don't think it is a good as it was.

Reply to
Andrew

Unless you hermatically seal it in a hot air-conditioned environment, which is how the SS Great Britain is now being preserved in Bristol. Survived for years in the cold waters of the Falklands but in warm, humid Bristol, exposed to air, the salt-infiltrated metal allowed rust to have a field day.

Reply to
Andrew

Powder coating is brittle. Once damaged it traps water and allows significant corrosion.

Reply to
Andrew

Its not THAT brittle, but it is no panacea for sure.Of all the kit I have seen left lying around in the wind and rain passivated zinc or cadmium is the best.

You may have seen that finish - a sort of golden colour - on old steel valve equipment chassis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That may be true, but the time for it to reach that stage is as important as happens afterwards ... my powder coated garage door has looked better for much longer than any paint I applied to the previous door.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wire brushed my fence to get the loose off, then phosphoric acid, then undercoat, then gloss. has lasted 4 years so far.

Reply to
ss

My powder coated garage door was galvanised underneath...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No sign of damage on the garden furniture I had powder coated around a quarter of a century ago, even on the feet, which get dragged across brick paving.

Reply to
Nightjar

I recently painted an old rusty fireplace with a black paint designed to be applied to rust - Aldi I think. Looked very unlikely after the first application - a sort of thin sticky paste, with very little pigment, but left a finish like varnish. 4 coats on and it looks good. I have no reason to think the rust will find its way through.

Reply to
RJH

If you still have the tin, what is on the list of ingredients>

Reply to
alan_m

No list as such. Baufix (so Lidl) metal paint, pure alkyd, butanonoxime, cobalt salt. They have something similar looking in my local (Sheffield) Aldi, £3.50/l.

Reply to
RJH

A sincere Thank You for all of the sage advise I received, from many responders.

MOST appreciated !! -dave

Reply to
Dave C