Wrong wiring for lighting circuit

I was just watching property ladder, and the guy said that after they had just installed the lighting circuit, they had found out it was the wrong sort of cable.

Can you think of what he meant? They didn't actually say any more on the subject - which is really annoying for a viewer, if we are not to make the same mistakes they should bloody well say what the exact problem was.

The only things I can think of are low voltage lights, and the wrong colour coding of cables, which changed a few years ago. Can you think of anything else it might have been? Thanks

Reply to
freepo

Given some of the numptiness on there, maybe using three-core flex? Bell wire?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Might be they used 2.5mm^2 T&E... hard to use an undersized one unless it was a 10A circuit with cables under insulation etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

T&E instead of 3-core+E?

Reply to
boltmail

Can you still buy that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:19:22 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Screwfix list both on

Reply to
David Hansen

realised just how many lights he was going to have in a converted barn lounge. Ripped out 1mm^2 and replace with 1.5mm^2. Could be that.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Sorry - I read it as twin rather than TW&E. Looking for something that made sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly that an earth-shielded cable to BS 8436, such as Earthshield or Flexishield, was needed to allow it to be buried in the walls without RCD protection whilst complying with the 17th edition?

Reply to
Andy Wade

I can see why perhaps, as I'm not finding it there^

Reply to
boltmail

Perhaps it was a bit of washing line.

mark