Worktop router bits. Cheap or expensive ones?

Is it worth buying the cheaper router bits if I am cutting just on

joint with them?

Am thinking of picking some cheap ones up on ebay, but wondered whethe they will f**k up my work surface or not?

Anyone had any experience of using the cheap brands like Marksman Blackspur or Silverline

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

If they're STC or TCT and sharp, they should be fine.

I've had some Silverline stuff which is OK, but not tried their router cutters.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Having just done some worktops for the first time, I would invest in a good brand cutter. I got a 0.5" x 2.5" freebee cutter with the worktop jig I bought. Seemed OK so used for the first trial joint. Juddered at bit more than I thought was good, so swapped for my CMT 0.5" x 2", which proved somewhat better and smoother cutting. The 0.5" less length may have helped a bit, but the CMT cutters are impressively sharp (for a TC edge). So yes, you get what you pay for. Cheap chinese s**te or decent quality. As a CMT worktop cutter is about £20, I'd certainly recommend getting one.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

No, get a decent one. Worktop trimming needs a good stiff cutter if you want a good finish.

Eeeuuuuwww.... Not in my router, please. I barely trust their hand tool, I certainly don't want one whirling at 20,000rpm.

Reply to
Andy Dingley