Worcester Bosch 230 diverter valve

I have a problem with my hot water system/combi boiler. My CH works fine and hot water did until yesterday. I now have to turn the hot water taps on full to get the boiler to kick in and get hot water. Having read similar pages on the internet, could it be a problem with the diverter valve/diaphragm? My questions are... (1) do you think this is the right diagnosis? (I get hot water easier when the CH is on, which makes sense. Also the fact that this happened suddenly suggests that the diagraphm may have perforated), (2) how difficult is it to replace the valve/diaphragm/microswitch?, (3) should I try it myself or get stung by a plumber?

I have booked a plumber (CORGI resistered) to come round this evening to diagnose, but would like to save the call out charge and don't want to waste his time and knowledge if then I decide to do the job myself. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
roger.berry

I think your diagnosis is good. The valve presumably is a little easier to move when it's warm hence the symptoms.

Without knowing your level of experience it's hard to say whether you can do this or not. You will certainly need the service manual in front of you. Read this and see how you feel. Note that there are a great number lot of fibre washers and O-rings in the job.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hi Ed

Do you think it is more likely to be the diaphragm than the valve itself. This seems to make sense as the pressure of the water is probably not pushing the spindle towards the microswitch. Do you recomend that I order just a diaphragm replacement kit or the whole works (valve/spindle/diaphragm etc). If it is just the diaphragm I might need, I have been recommended HRPC for spares but there are thousands of varieties.....any suggestions of type/make. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Reply to
roger.berry

Yes I think it's the diaphragm. The work to fix it though is similar, IIRC the procedure is to remove the whole valve and then fix the water flow diaphragm.

You should get the correct diaphragm for your particular model.

Reply to
Ed Sirett