Worcester Boilers Eating PCB's

You seem to be suggesting an industtry-wide problem, rather than something specific to Worcester Bosch. Is this in line with other people's findings?

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

In article , Andy Dingley scribeth thus

Yes?, something I should know then?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ours has been fine since a recon board from U know who;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's nothing to do with brand - they give grief on everything.

One taken apart... 80k miles on a VW Transporter van...

Adrian

Anything using solder made for domestic or commercial use outside of defense/nuclear/aero-space and medical , even automobile uses are not exempted as far as I know. Then anything subjected to heat/cold cycling (after that

Reply to
N_Cook

Cambridge Audio acknowledged that they had a problem with lead free solder a few years ago

Reply to
geoff

Funny that, I thought it was Ford. Perhaps I'll stop whingeing about the bills for my cam belt change - that was the _previous_ generation's good idea...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

13 degree C critical temperature? Where does that figure come from?
Reply to
The Other Mike

CH boilers are exempt from the RoHS and WEEE regulations since "electricity is not the main fuel." I.e. they are classed as gas (or oil) appliances, and not electrical equipment.

So AFAIK tin-lead solder could be used perfectly legally on the PCBs. Whether it is or not, I don't know.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes it is

Reply to
geoff

Is that before or just after you've fixed them?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Volvo owners seldom exceed 30mph, and have gutless engines anyway.

I remember asking an ex-GF of mine, after replacing a sheared half shaft (we are talking over and inch of steel here) how the f*ck she had managed to do it 'You must have redlined the thing and dropped the clutch in a fit of temper or something' The ensuing silence and reddening face told me how close I had in fact got.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well it was an advance on the generation before's rebore, decoke, new valve seats, new gaskets, new piston rings, crank regrind, new shells after 60,000 miles sort of thing.. ;-)

The fact that the rest of the car could now do 180,000 miles (apart from the cam belt) took the manufacturers by surprise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Umm there're not all like that ;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Focus EGR?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

They're singing it's praises now

"Cambridge Audio already uses lead-free solder in its products which has more copper for improved conductivity in turn producing better sound quality."

That could have come straight from the pen of Russ Andrews, that's last time I ever consider CA products.

Anyone having problems with lead-free in this kind of product simply doesn't know what they are doing.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You're just not using it right....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Cor - I remember that. You were lucky to get to 60k in many cases.

Reply to
Skipweasel

My father was in the motor trade - he sold Albion trucks. Got a new Morris Minor in '53 - the first OHV one in Scotland. The actual Scottish motor show car. Wore out the engine in 35,000 miles - about the same as the first set of tyres lasted. But it averaged 52 mpg over that period.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RECOMMENDED seicee interval on a BMC engine in the 60's was new big end shells every 30,000 and new mains at 60,000. If you pushed it in a 'sports car' like a midget, new big ends every 15,000 and new mains every 30,000, and a total overhaul with thrust washers and oil seals etc at 60,000 and possibly a rebore then, or at least oversize oil control rings fitted.

Routine maintenance also consisted of greasing every nipple draining an replacing gearbox oil, ad back axle oil, new plugs, points and often some of the HT wiring, replacing all rubber hoses and clips every 30K or so and the coolant, pressure cap and so on. Then you adjusted the brakes every 3000 miles or so (standard recommended service interval), and if it had a clutch cable, checked that for wear as well. Oh did I mention wheel bearings? tighten those every 3k as well, for pin sharp handling.

In short if you were doing the miles, abut one weekend in two was spent servicing some part or other.

The sheer bliss of my first fuel injected electronic ignition, 10,000 mile service interval car..no maintenance apart from a cam belt at 60k and a bit of general looking over once a year or so..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher