Wood Preservers

Any feedback on these wood preservers would be welcome

Barrettine Clear Wood Preserver 5Ltr =A319.92 Barrettine Light Brown Wood Preserver 5Ltr =A319.23

Bartoline Dark creosoate Substitute 4Ltr =A36.81 "New formula Creosote. Solvent based ready to use wood preservative for amateur use against wood rotting fungal and surface algae on external timber only. Coverage is 6-8 square meters per litre."

Are these creosote subs as good as the real thing? Do they kill all nearby plants?

NT

Reply to
NT

Is that what you want it for?

Reply to
Geo

No Chris

Reply to
Why?

if you are asking if it is the same or as good as coal tar creosote then the answer is no

but IMHO its better then any of the water based products

Reply to
Mark

In message , NT writes

I keep asking about these here, too. It usually kills the thread dead in it's tracks, so they achieve that.

I've used the clear. I treated the end boards of the shed with it. It's early days but nothing has deteriorated yet. It can be overpainted after the solvent has evaporated, and I've put some water based rubbish over the top to match the rest of the shed. The water based stuff has not been very successful on its own on the older parts of the shed.

I poured the Barrettine Clear into a more manageable container at a Workmate in the middle of the lawn and spilt a little. The grass there is now dead. Next time I will decant over the path and kill the stone and possibly two birds.

My lovely wife wants me to get the front fence to a nice golden colour. All the pretendosote stuff is too dark, even the 'golden brown' drying to a sort of dirty dark brown on the bits I've tried, so I will probably try to get some Barrettine golden version of the clear stuff. Unfortunately, only clear seems to be sold locally.

Reply to
Bill

I guess I'll just give them both a try. Cheers Bill.

NT

Reply to
NT

On 18 Aug, 16:17, NT wrote:

NT Barretime Clear WOOD PRESERVATIVES 7723 3-IODO-2-PROPYNYL-N-BUTYL CARBAMATE + PROPICONAZOLE BARRETTINE W.S.P. CLEAR WOOD PRESERVER BARRETTINE PRODUCTS LTD AMATEUR View

Barretime 'Brown' not found on HSE products but this might be it WOOD PRESERVATIVES 8259 PROPICONAZOLE PERMETHRIN BARRETTINE PREMIER UNIVERSAL TREATMENT BARRETTINE PRODUCTS LTD AMATEUR

The only other HSE amateur product listed is this WOOD PRESERVATIVES 7725 3-IODO-2-PROPYNYL-N-BUTYL CARBAMATE + PERMETHRIN + PROPICONAZOLE BARRETTINE W.S.P. UNIVERSAL PRESERVER BARRETTINE PRODUCTS LTD AMATEUR

Creosote substitute is just that and really has very little of the effect of true creosote which is banned for use by amateurs and which is in restricted use in plants for professionals

You may find that the information on Active Ingredients that follows of some use Propiconazole

is a systemic foliar fungicide with a broad range of activity. It is used on grasses grown for seed, mushrooms, corn, wild rice, peanuts, almonds, sorghum, oats, pecans, apricots, peaches, nectarines, plums and prunes. On cereals it controls diseases caused by Erysiphe graminis, Leptosphaeria nodorum, Pseudocerosporella herpotrichoides, Puccinia spp., Pyrenophora teres, Rhynchosporium secalis, and Septoria spp. (1, 2, 4).

Propiconazole's mode of action is demethylation of C-14 during ergosterol biosynthesis, and leading to accumulation of C-14 methyl sterols. The biosynthesis of these ergosterols is critical to the formation of cell walls of fungi. This lack of normal sterol production slows or stops the growth of the fungus, effectively preventing further infection and/or invasion of host tissues. Therefore, propiconazole is considered to be fungistatic or growth inhibiting rather than fungicidal or killing (2).

Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate is used as a broad spectrum biocide or preservative to inhibit the growth of microorganisms. End applications include metal working fluids, polymer emulsions, and pigment dispersions, cosmetics, household products, paints, adhesives, cements and inks. Carbamic acid is a compound of chemical formula H2NCOOH. But it exists only in the form of carbamate (its salt or ester), carbamide (amide) and carbamoyl (acyl radical). Carbamates , with general formula -NH(CO)O-, have functional groups next to the carbonyl group. Carbamate is formed when a carbon dioxide reacts with the amino group the COO- group is a resonance structure. Carbamate structure inhibits cholinesterase and many insecticides and parasiticides contain carbamate fuctional group. Carbamate is a poisonous ingredient in insecticide. Other common examples of poisonous ingredients in insecticide include organophosphates and dichlorobenzenes. It is highly toxic to human also. Heavy exposure to IT can cause carbamate poisoning. Natural carbamide (urea) can be found in protein metabolism in urine. Carbamoyl is the radical NH2CO-, also called carbamyl. It is a radical formed from an organic acid by removal of a hydroxyl group. It is involved in the biosynthesis of the pyrimidine ring. Carbamoyl compounds, such as salicylamides, are important for the preparation of pharmaceutical products, pesticides, dyes, and biosynthesis researches.

Permethryn is a synthetic product used as an insecticide

None of these products are anything like as effective as the ones that the EU has removed from our arsenal of AIs

Best protection is to keep out water by design. Chris

Reply to
Why?

=A0 =A0 =A0BARRETTINE

cheers chris. Is there anything one can add to these preparations to improve their effectivness, eg a copper salt or cu powder?

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , NT writes

snippage..

Boron.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

in what form, borax?

NT

Reply to
NT

I am not a chemist:-)

Look up Probor manufactured by Safeguard Europe Ltd but there are dozens of formulations available for rot and boring insect protection.

Probably disodium octoborate!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb