Wood filling

Hi,

I have a chipboard cupboard whose door has come loose off the hinges because the chipboard has worn away at the point the screws go into the door. Is there any way I can 'fill' this part of the door (that has been worn away) with some sort of filling so that when I rescrew door to the hinge, it will hold?

Reply to
Epetruk

Resin car body filler. Something like Isopon from Halfords. They do a type which sets quickly in sunlight (UV) - other ones are two part and have to be mixed. Make sure you get all the dust and loose bits out.

Once set, it's easy to sand or file smooth, and will take a screw directly, but drill a pilot hole first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, or araldite, which you might have already.

Reply to
Newshound

It's also possible to use car polyester resin (two part) as usedd for glass fibre repairs mixed with sawdust if you want to re-create something a little more like chipboard. Put the resin into a plastic (polythene/polypropylene) container and add sawdust while mixing until you get a stiff paste. Cover and stand for a time to allow the air bubbles to dissipate then add the hardener in the traditional ratio of hardener the size of a pea to resin/sawdust mix the size of a golfball.

Once hardened you will need to trim off the "hairy" bits sticking up from the mix but that's not particularly hard to do.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Pinkgrip

Vortex

Araldite less good unless some filler put in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We could all do with some of that from time to time.

David

Reply to
David McNeish