wiring safe zone - external corner

The safe zone diagrams never show external corners (like at each side of a chimney breast), only internal ones. Simple question - is 150mm either size of an external corner a safe zone ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Now that is a good one. And I do NOT know the answer.

Have a look at (copied from the 17th OSG but with better pictures)

the second rule says "an angle formed by two walls" and does not exclude external angles.

Note it also does not say corners, that allows electricians working on Persimmon houses to put cables in their parallograms.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Intuitively I want to say no. However, reading the letter of the regs, and for that matter the electricians guide to the building regs, there does not seem to be anything to forbid that interpretation of the rules.

Hence in circumstances like this, one probably ought to be guided by the rule of how likely is it to confuse someone tasked to maintain it later. To which the answer is I suspect "fairly" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Though to be fair, most people to whom the rule matters (any Joe with a picture hook and a hammer) would be confused by the "inside corner" rule, the "top 15cm of the wall" rule and I dare say a fair few wouldn't even worry about banging a nail in in the stripe above or below or sideways from an accessory[1].

Several friends I've had who are perfectly intelligent and educated in their various areas knew little of such things when I had to explain it to them.

[1] Commonsense ought to rescue them on the last 3 cases, but who knows...

Cheers, Tim

-- Tim Watts

Reply to
Tim Watts