wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching

I am in process of replacing two lights in my kitchen They are two sets of spotlights wired via loopin wring. Additionally they are wired for two way switching via a switch by backdoor and another switch by kitchen door. I fitted these a few years ago and have not had any problems. Ive purchased a couple of metal halogen spotlights and had started to install them ensuring that erath continuity was maintained to body of spots. However I am unable to oprate the switching. Turning them on via consumer switch turns lights on but Iam unable to switch off using either of the two switches. I have wired them exactly as before but have noticed the following. The first light contais three cables, one of which I presume is the switch cable, the second the power cable. There is also a third which is presumably the link cable for the two way switching since it uses a cable with four wires, two of which are yellow and blue. The firt of the two switches has wires matching this cable. So the wiring is as follows:

Live has a single red plus the yellow Neutral has both the blue and a black.

Am I right in thinking that the black may be a switch cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
chrisc

John Borman

Standard two way switching diagram.

L1 L1 0===========0 0===========0============= Line | \ / | C 0================================O C \ / \ / 0===========0 0===========0============= Switch return L2 Optional L2 Intermediate

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 28 Dec 2004 10:47:56 -0800, "chrisc" strung together this:

No you haven't, they worked before.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

No, two way wiring isn't wired from the light.

Any cable could be anything, I think you should call someone who knows what they're doing.

Reply to
Lurch