Wireless cameras on Ebay

I buy guitars from the USA and if you get one that's worth more than £18 - and surprisingly often they are - then you have to pay duty on them. Curiously, though, loads of them just come straight to me and I don't get charged the duty, so I think customs just peek at the odd one every now and then. I imagine they don't have the manpower to check them all, so they just threaten to instead.

BB

--

snipped-for-privacy@kruse.demon.co.uk Elvis does my seo

--

Reply to
Big Bill

What a confusing document! It has to be deliberate

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I bought 1 a few months ago that looks exactly the same.

The picture quality is excellent.

I bought a 2.5 inch TFT display at the same time, to use with it.

I have bought many things via ebay, and the only problems I have ever had are with UK sellers.

When sent from Hong Kong, items are usually sent marked as a gift, so you don't pay any import duty.

CG..

Reply to
woodglass

Its a scam if they are the usual 1800MHz ones that appear on ebay as they are illegal in the UK.

Reply to
dennis

You know a different meaning of the word "scam" to me then.

The one I just bought, for £16.99 inclusive of everything, is 1.2Ghz. No idea if it's a naughty one. Item 5792960089

If it doesn't arrive I'll let you know - then it'll warrant being called a scam.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It is. Only 2.4GHz is legal here. You could be fined and have the equipment confiscated (maybe including the recorder/PC).

Its a scam selling something that's illegal to use without telling them.

Reply to
dennis

I got caught like this too. Despite extensive searching with Google, I was unable to find evidence of it being non approved. It seems that the 1.2GHz band is a designated low power range of frequencies. However, I couldn't find an answer from a UK source, so have not been prepared to use it.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

To confirm, my £100 parcel did attract some £26.03 additional charges from your friend and mine, C&E.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Why, if they are sold in Hong Kong? Why should the seller be aware of the different laws applying to every country in the world? At best, I suppose he could say something like "purchasers should satisfy themselves that this equpiment is legal in their country" but surely the onus is on the purchaser here.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm quite interested in this gizmo as I still haven't got round to sorting out my diy 'endoscope' to sort out my leaking shower (see posts of a few weeks back!)

As a complete numpty at this electronickery stuff, am I right that if I connect the video/audio out leads to the corresponding phono sockets on my portable TV, and then connect one of my zillions of redundant 6-12V wall-warts to the third (power) lead, it would work (I'm presuming you have to tune the TV channel to match the camera, like a VCR?) with no other boxes of electronics?

Thanks! David

Reply to
Lobster

Fairy muff. Pretty unlikely though, eh? Will it interfere with anything, do you know?

S'not, it's a scam if someone takes your money with no intention of giving you anything in return.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks for that. I bought a 4 channel video recording card too so if the camera's as good a toy as it sounds I may well have to buy some more :) They were both cheap enough to not attract the attention of the pickpockets anyway.

Any idea how long the camera runs on a decent battery? I'm sure I've got a few suitable transformers around the house if batteries don't last long...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot