Windows 11

But that means that you can't add useful new featurs like the multiple desktops that Win11 has.

Reply to
Rod Speed

So you have gone from a quality product to the cheapest tat on the market.

I am not sure why you can't access the camera. I can access my Camera in Firefox at

on this Lenovo T480. Have you enabled access in Settings -> Privacy & Security, Camera. You have to do this on Windows/10 but you have probably forgotton it was so long ago.

I don't dislike it. It is what it is, and given I will have to "upgrade" at some point I might as well get on with it. Yes I could switch to Linux but that seems to have more different desktops than I have had pints of real ale...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Windows 10 and Windows 11, have "cell phone permissions" in Settings panel.

There is a page for "Camera", a page for "Microphone".

[Picture]

I tested with AMCAP.exe (version 8), a win32 application which would be similar to the usage of win32 Firefox.exe .

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Set this to "10" "22H2" to stop Windows 10 at the last version of Windows 10, and no mysterious changes to Windows 11. Since Windows 10 is not receiving any more version updates, 22H2 is the last one. This sets a couple registry entries that control OS version.

*******

Windows 11 also accepts controls like that. The current Windows 11 version corresponds to "11" "22H2". I don't know when the next Windows 11 comes out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Many thanks, that's very useful :-)

He has been producing priceless utilities ever since I can remember.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

It's actual functioning is no worse than Windows 10, and the UI and one or two functions are a bit better. Having said that the first thing I do, as usual with all newer Windows versions was to install Classic Shell to make the UI as ergonomic as Windows 7.

The bit I most like is that I have now got my desktop talking to other machines on the LAN - errors in Windows 10 prevented me from setting the systems to stop forcing password control. Networking is certainly easier than it has been since Windows 7.

If there is a really good reason for changing to 11 it is the ever-increasing trend to making actual applications version specific. I'd be exceptionally surprised not to find quite a few programs that work badly or won't work at all with Windows 10 before too long. Some have just disappeared. It makes me very angry when programs for which that I have paid out good money cannot be used. Windows is not as bad as Android in that regard (we had to buy new phones a while back, because some essential apps didn't work at all on our old ones) - but it will come eventually. Others less lucky with program choice may tell you it already has.

Reply to
Bob Henson

It also works the other way round. I had to replace my scanner which worked perfectly well, because there were no drivers for a new version of Windows (posibly &7). Another reason not to like Microsoft. And, wasn't Windows 10 going to be the last version?

Reply to
charles

They are doing this with web browsers. No new web browser versions for Win7 and Win 8.1 . And presumably Win10 will get cut off at the end of support as well.

Then the browser companies will have to hurry and come up with excuses why the old browsers won't be good enough.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

For me, over the years Windows version changes have forced replacement of a laser printer, a scanner and, worse, a full version of AutoCad - not to mention the ongoing need to upgrade or replace computers when they simply don't have the capabilities needed for newer OSs and programs.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes, it was 7, 64 bit version. Win7/32 had a driver that worked for my wife's Canon Lide 20, but Win7/64 did not. So we bought a new scanner and I inherited the Lide 20, which works perfectly well on 64 bit Linux.

Yes.

Reply to
Joe

I mapped it to 'alternate keyboard' so I can do stuff like capslock t h and get 'þ'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vista was fine if you gave it 2GB RAM which was Microsoft's original specification.

Reply to
wasbit

I actually reversed what I wanted to say. I should have said that 7 was slower than Vista, but more responsive to user input. Memory made little difference. Vista often accepted user clicks, but gave no indication that it had done so, for so long that users were clicking multiple times.

Reply to
SteveW

Vista would run free memory down to zero. Then when you needed a little more, maybe for a blank Office document, it needed to page out something else, perhaps saving it to RAM.

Vista was so intelligent that if you used an application a couple of times on a Thursday afternoon, it would load it the next Thursday afternoon just in case you might want it, saving several seconds, but losing you several seconds each time you needed some RAM. Brilliant.

Reply to
Joe

The newer OSes have a Memory Compressor. But you can no longer see it in Task Manager (in the process list). Instead, you can see it listed in Resource Manager.

start : run : resmon

[Picture]

The higher the Hard Fault rate, the more cycles the memory compressor uses. And that's done, in place of paging to disk.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Possibly something like this.

And the articles for it, will also give leads on other tools.

"if you’d like to check out alternatives, you should explore KeyTweak or Key Remapper."

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Often parts like this can be found for relatively little money on Ebay.

Reply to
alan_m

if anyone wants a completely working HP laptop with 8GB RAM and a fully working SSD, but a case that has completely disintegrated, let me know.

I cant be arsed to ebay it.

HP ProBook 450 G2 (15.6 inch) Notebook PC Core i5 (4210U) 1.7GHz

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher