Window Pane Cracking

A large double-glazed window has developed a crack from one corner about 12 inches toward the centre of the window.

The heat and cold is making the crack grow longer.

What can I do to stop the crack travelling further. Cellotape probably won't work because of condensation. I can't get the window fixed for at least 6 weeks.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

Loctite glassbond?

Reply to
Phil

The only way is to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it going further.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , Pinot Grigio writes

I'd probably let it get on with it as a single crack across it will not make it fall out, however it will be weakened so keep people away in case they bash it.

However, if you have lots of time on your hands then you can allegedly stop a crack by drilling a hole in its path to relieve the stress. Chose a

6mm pear shaped glass bit and drill a hole (using very light pressure) about half an inch past the end of the crack. If you push too hard when drilling then the crack will complete before you know it ;-).

Tape over the crack with gaffa tape once it has completed or you have drilled.

Reply to
fred

| A large double-glazed window has developed a crack from one corner about 12 | inches toward the centre of the window. | | The heat and cold is making the crack grow longer. | | What can I do to stop the crack travelling further. Cellotape probably | won't work because of condensation. | I can't get the window fixed for at least 6 weeks.

If you are going to replace the sealed unit anyway, just ignore it, for six weeks. If the crack goes from one side to another, it will not break totally, and the crack will have little effect, except perhaps some condensation. I have watched two cracked double glazed windows (not mine) which have been cracked for a year with no observable effect.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

You must be tired - and fairly bored I imagine :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Gently rub it over with meths on a tissue, gently dry it, stick some tape over it just in case, change it when you can, be careful when handling the pane that the glass doesn't tear when you're not expecting it. You've got an approximately 0 chance of drilling it or anything like that - it's knackered, tape it up for safety and leave it alone!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for all the replies.

Drilling - Yikes!!!!!!!!

As the crack has travelled another inch in the last hour I am going to use Loctite Glass Bond (sun is shining today (UV helps it cure?(don't have the instructions!!))) The put some tape over it.

I have found some Loctite Glass Bond that is still usable but old. Can it go off? Should I buy a new one to ensure best bond? I seem to remember it didn't work well once but that may have been due to lack of UV.

I didn't know what gaffa tape was and found this very enlightening site:

Pinot Grigio

Since its a temp repair I was only giving you a solution on the basis of a non temp solution to stop the crack going any further. This technique is used by structural engineers when they find a fracture in steelwork and so drill a hole at the head of the fracture and then weld plates across the fracture to give it back its strenght, these fractures usually appear on a load bearing point. Which brings me to the point of... did these cracks just appear? or has someone hit the pane accidently?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I don't trust myself drilling into glass and as the glass is still splitting, I don't think it would work as any pressure is going to increase the split. Also the split might miss the hole.... I think it was probably a faulty unit in the first place as there has been condensation between the panes for some time (but out of guarantee). As other building work needs doing, we have just ignored it until 2 days ago when the crack appeared. As far as I know, the window has never been knocked apart from the odd bird flying into it. The crack is inside and probably triggered by extreme heat (radiator beneath) and cold weather. Ok, I know this is worse case scenario and I may be worrying unnecessarily, but if there is pressure involved in the split, and the glass disintegrates/explodes, the other pane could also break. As we are going away, we don't want to come back to a window with no glass in it!

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

Apart from glass bond, will the stuff used to repair car windscreen glass be useful? might be worth checking out if you say you had unsatisfactory results with Glass Bond.

If the crack is progressing, is it an indication that there is something wrong with the structure surrounding the pane, like bricks moving etc?

Good luck.

Reply to
ChasesDragons

Erm, yes - that why sellotape won't work, the condensation...

The only thing that might work - *might* - is drilling a hole. Nothing else will make the slightest bit of difference.

If I were you, I'd give it a good clean, and tape it up with plenty of gaffer tape. This won't stop it cracking, but it will stop it falling apart and significantly reduce the risk of injury.

Reply to
Grunff

You can buy clear window repair tape for exactly this job. My local ironmonger carries it. It won't stop the crack spreading, but it will seal it, it will hold the bits together until you can get it repaired and it won't fall off. You do have to make sure that the glass is clean and dry before applying it though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Is there a lintel above the window frame? Any cracking in the brickwork/render?

Reply to
Matt

| Pinot Grigio wrote: | | > What can I do to stop the crack travelling further. Cellotape probably | > won't work because of condensation. | | Erm, yes - that why sellotape won't work, the condensation... | | | > I can't get the window fixed for at least 6 weeks. | | The only thing that might work - *might* - is drilling a hole. Nothing | else will make the slightest bit of difference. | | If I were you, I'd give it a good clean, and tape it up with plenty of | gaffer tape. This won't stop it cracking, but it will stop it falling | apart and significantly reduce the risk of injury.

I have seen professionals use a brown/black hardening gunge for a temporary repair on double glazing. I gave also seen a fan installed in double glazing with this, so it must be OK. Your local glass place will have it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

You didn't know what gaffa tape was? What are you doing in a DIY group :-)

According to legend, you only need two things in your toolbox, gaffa tape & WD40.

If it moves and it shouldn't - use the Gaffa Tape.

If it doesn't move & it should - use the WD40.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

use a glass cutter and score th

glass in front of the crac

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

I had an 8 by 4 foot window that cracked when I had temporally fitted it for security, overnight.

It stayed cracked for nearly 15 years and the only reason I did change it was because of the misting that had taken place.

As for the glass dropping out, don't forget both panes are bonded to the separator, so cant fall out. You will be fine for 6 weeks.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've stopped glass cracks with just a self adhesive window sticker. No further cracking for years. One was on the corner of a double glazed patio door and I wondered why someone would stick such a sticker there. Upon closer inspection I saw the crack. Some years later I decided to remove the sticker as I didn't believe it was really doing anything to stop the crack. I was wrong. After just a few days the crack started moving further diagonally down the pane. I stuck another sticker on it and it hasn't moved for at least 3 years.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

As I wrote earlier, forget the crack, do not drill a stop hole, as you might end up with one pane of glass in bits. Drilling a hole will accelerate the misting between the two panes.

6 weeks is a short time in a double glazed unit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave