Fresh start 2 bed flat (CH + Shower etc)

Hi, Ive just bought my first flat (ground floor) and am looking to fi

CH and a new bathroom. I'd appreciate some pointers if possible.

First of all, when choosing a combi boiler, what sort of size/capacit should i be looking at? the flat is only 2 bed and should need radiators (2xLarge, 3xSmall), i understand you add the BTUs the compare to boiler capacity, but how do you factor in the shower/taps i kitchen/bathroom etc.

Secondly where to get it from! I tried to get a quote for someone t fit a boiler (told them from BnQ), was told that they wouldnt touch i as its sub standard. The cheapest one was £370, the specs seemed mor than adequate for such a small system. Should i be going somewhere els (bearing in mind first time buyer dont have loads of money).

Finally, i'm a little unsure of what shower system to go for, ive ha conflicting advice. The cold mains pressure is really good, i'm tol on one hand that i should simply feed the shower straight from th combi (which is in the same room), then someone else is telling me tha the combi wouldnt be able to cope and that i should simply put a electric one in.

Thanks for your help

-- easynow

Reply to
easynow

The capacity is determined by the hot water requirements rather than the flat's heating requirements. Common ratings are 24, 28 and 35kW - 24 should be fine for a flat with one shower/bathroom.

The Ravenheat and Biasi boilers that B&Q do aren't generally reckoned to be the Rolls Royces (or perhaps VWs is a better analogy) of the boiler market. Bosch-Worcester, Ideal, maybe Gloworm are good bets. Potterton & Baxi have tarnished reputations in recent years.

Any 2 installers will give you 3 different opinions as to what's best :-) You can read back posts of this group on google for more opinions. The flame wars alone will keep you as warm as a medium-output boiler.

The smallest rated combi will give you more than twice as much hot water to your shower as the highest rated electric shower.

Reply to
john.stumbles

Appreciate the advice, are we talking VW prices for this increase

performance? and if so is it worth the extra coin?

Thank

-- easynow

Reply to
easynow