Window in shower area

The earlier post about wet-rooms got me thinking. I've always liked the idea, and I reckon that when time and money roll round for a bathroom refurb in the next few years it's probably the direction I'd like to go in. Trouble is, my bathroom is long and thin with the door at one end and the window at the other. The only realistic place to put the shower area in such a design is across the window end.

How much of a problem is having a window in the shower area likely to be? Part of the appeal for me is having everything properly waterproof, such that there are no worries about places where water mustn't go and if I wanted to I could dance about dementedly with a hose with impunity (ok, there is a slight exception for the door). Presumably a tile windowsill with a slight fall into the room for drainage would be needed. At present the window frame itself is a timber double-glazed unit; is it likely to be possible to protect this sufficiently, or should I be looking at replacement? One front window in (eg) white uPVC would look very odd next to the other dark-brown-painted timber ones, so is there likely to be a similar-looking internally-waterproof alternative?

Any other cunning ideas, short of bricking up the window? Glass bricks flush with the internal wall, has just occurred to me, leaving a small void behind the window (left with trickle vents full open). Would look nicely seamless inside, but I don't think I'd want to lose the option of flooding the room with fresh air.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Have a hinged shower screen on the wall that folds over the window when required ? Or a shower curtain is cheaper . Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Wood doesn't mind a soak once a day as much as being left wet for a month.

Just varnish it up with yacht varnish and slope that sill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher