Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

I feed the birds and I also feed some cats of uncertain status. At times that devolves to feeding birds to the cats. I did rig a pulley system for the feeder after noting how far a fat cat can leap from the ground when motivated.

I should try Fritos. Black oil sunflower seeds make a hell of a mess. The cats get Meow Mix and I think the jays help themselves to that too.

Reply to
rbowman

A rabbit doesn't have much of a life expectancy here. Raccoons however... I was blaming the deer for destroying the bird feeder until I saw the coon tracks in the fresh snow one morning. The skunks sort of hibernate but without a doubt they'll be up and about soon to add to the mix.

Reply to
rbowman

That was the upstate NY dynamic. The paper would run photos of deer yarded up in the deep snow and starving so someone would organize a hay airlift. Next year, more deer yarded up and starving.

The same dynamic happens with human populations.

Reply to
rbowman

I've seen the film but missed the rom-com part I guess. Too focused on the birds to observe the humans.

Reply to
rbowman

I've watched a cat kill an unwary robin. Early bird got the worm, cat got the early bird. Shit happens.

I used to see flickers but I haven't seen them lately. While they are technically woodpeckers they prefer to feed on the ground. I don't know if the cats got them or if they moved to a cat free environment.

They provided me with hours of amusement. They're the klutzes of the bird family and the only bird I've seen that can fall out of a tree.

Reply to
rbowman

My neighbours cat ambushes birds coming to a bird feeder. As the birds fly in to perch it pounces jumping three feet in the air and catches them still in flight.

Pigeons feed on the ground under bird feeders and seem easy prey for cats although once the area is covered in feathers they become very wary about landing for a few days. This shows why the old country practice of protecting crops worked - killing crows and leaving the corpses in the field. Probably not too effective these days where kites and buzzards are no longer exterminated and have been re-introduced to areas. These birds will very quickly spot the dead crow and eat it.

Reply to
alan_m

OTOH, when the old family home was sold, a large wardrobe was left in one of the bedrooms, because NCB subsidence repairs had slightly lowered the ceiling above the stairs, and they could not be removed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Do you have a telephone?

Here in the UK BT (who came from the Post Office, which had a state monopoly) are gradually replacing copper with fibre because it is more reliable.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Please don't say things like that. There are people out there who will believe you.

Just as they believe we can have 100% of our power coming from wind.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That was my assumption. However...

On 19/03/2023 14:09, micky wrote: > Pointing things out doesn't work here. 🙁

would suggest not everyone agrees.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Why do you think they are installing those 5G masts on every street corner?

There is also the under pavement 100G fibre networks being installed throughout the country with the machine readers every 10 metres for better tracking resolution :)

Reply to
alan_m

I invented the concept of connecting a motor to a generator and making free power. I think I was about 7 years old.

Youtube is full of similar schemes.

Reply to
John Larkin

If the goal is to waste excess power, pumped hydro will work fine.

Reply to
John Larkin

I'm kind of autistic and don't much care for people or music or art, but I love romantic stories [1]. I guess the tiny mating part of my brain survived being crowded out by electronics.

That makes sense evolutionarily. If engineers weren't romantic, they would be selected out of the population and everybody would be artists.

There must be a reason that some women, generally great women, like enginers but I haven't figured out why.

[1] Favorite book A Damsel In Distress tied with The Art Of Electronics

Favorite movie Pride and Prejudice 2005

Reply to
John Larkin

It's also a great method of power distribution. Less visual impact than pylons.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yeah seem a few video shorts of cats doing that.

But I doubt many birds die like that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sure. Everything dies eventually, so if you create more critters, more will die.

Reply to
John Larkin

Someone published an alleged circuit diagram - it was actually for a wah wah FX pedal.

I didnt think you could get stupider than remoaners or Greens. I was wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

God, I hope so...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lots of seedy things go rancid. Fritos don't.

I stand on our deck and dramatically eat a few Fritos. That annoys the ravens waiting in the trees, and they fly up to get theirs before they are all gone.

Reply to
John Larkin