Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

Isn't that the car that had better aerodynamics going backwards rather than forwards?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Ooooh!, I'm definitely not having one of them in my back yard if they behave like that;-!...

Interesting article 'tho!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yeabut this kit is now approaching 5 years old and it wasn't state of th= e art, cutting edge, stuff then. B-)

WiMAX... not convinced that WiMAX will live up to the hype =

there is some WiMAX in the network it works but not up to expectations. =

I'll pass it on though. We have one bit of Proxim kit that has basically= been fit and forget, unlike the Cisco stuff that has a (weird) mind of it's own.

CLEO are about to have their own DSLAM but when approached about using ADSL for the backhaul instead of their wireless network the price was th= e same! Bar stewards. I doubt very much that there are any other providers= with kit in the exchnage, it only has, at most, 2,000 numbers.

We do from =A37.99 @ 128kbps to =A329.99 @ 512kbps with backup. Unfortun= ately we have most customers paying =A37.99 not every one is a speed freak or =

gamer. Provided that mail arrives and the web isn't too slow people are =

happy and =A38/month for an always on, full duplex, 128kbps connection i= s a real bargin. There are a rather high proportion of low income households= and the company has a social remit...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh well.

Mmm.... not clear where that's going.

.. and of course I guess the next major towns where there might be something are Carlisle and Newcastle which rules out a few options because of the connection that would be needed to those.

Is CLEO the present provider?

I was going to say that £8 is way too cheap, but if the available market and other constraints determine it, it limits the options. Would covering a larger area help at all, or is the return on investment likely to make that impractical?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The French carried out some trials about 40 yrs ago with the intention of using various frequency sounds for crowd control. One of the things they did find was that frequencies around 6Hz at quite low power levels could induce clinical depression.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I don't understand most of the technicalities of this sub thread but I know quite a few people who would like this sort of speed for that price, do any companies without social remit offer a product like this with say a 1GB/month cap?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Where what is going?

Yes, over the WiFi links they provide for the three schools up here.

The social remit is a bit of pain commercially but does provide a hook t= o hang some grant funding on. B-)

There always has been some talk of expanding coverage down the South Tyn= e valley but that wouldn't bring all that many more households within range, maybe a couple of hundred? Pretty much every household on Alston =

Moor is within range of an AP now and we have roughly 1/3 take up. Getting that level of take up without the orginal, government funded, free computer, would not be easy. Oddly sheep or rabbits don't seem interested in fast internet connections. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

WIMAX.

Sounds like if you had to take commercial (business) services it would be more expensive?

Nuisance, isn't it. Perhaps they know something we don't

Reply to
Andy Hall

These "computer" things'll never catch on.

Hopefully.

They're just a passing fad, like skateboards and hula-hoops.

Oh, and spacehoppers.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yup, and certainly no need for more than 64k RAM.

They're back in, according to the "gifts for men" catalogue that came free with the paper at the weekend.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You've forgotten Choppers, mind they are back on the market now but sans the gear shift on the frame. Spoil sports. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd love a noriginal Chopper bike.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 09:31:28 +0100 someone who may be Roger wrote this:-

That is precisely how the station can be used, but not the only way it can be used.

That is all any station does when it is supplying the grid. At other times it may also be taking electricity from the grid. That is not just while a pumped storage is pumping. A station may be taking small amounts of electricity from the grid for various purposes, including keeping hydro sets ready for instant response.

Those who follow the thread will see that I was the person who introduced this. Sloppy wording on my part, which I subsequently corrected.

Please indicate where anyone has said otherwise.

That sentence contradicts itself. The first eleven words indicate the true situation.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 22:22:31 +0100 (BST) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

Electricity prices are split into 14 areas. Moving to a different area because of the price of electricity is a lot of unnecessary disruption for most people.

It has always been the case. Electricity in Southern Scotland was once cheap. However, people there are now paying for mistakes like Torness with high bills.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 08:59:35 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop wrote this:-

It also costs carbon dioxide emissions.

And emits little or no carbon dioxide.

If government was serious about carbon dioxide emissions the coal fired would be run in a more steady state, producing more electricity for the emissions. Gas turbine stations, would be used more for reserve.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:31:26 +0100 (BST) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

I simply quoted it as it is.

Incorrect. I read all the supporting documents the first time I read that page. No digging involved at all. They don't change the context.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

See the paragraph immediately below.

So?

You have repeatedly done so, see above.

Don't be silly. All one needs to do is consider the transient changes on the grid in response to taking a power station off line.

Or consider the following situation. A grid that is virtually split in two with just one link between the two halves. If the generators in each half happen to exactly satisfy the demand in each half no current should flow in the link. Ergo the closer generators are satisfying the local demand and the remote generators are contributing nothing to it.

Reply to
Roger

Ignoring with a hand-wave the huge quantities of costs (money, labour, cement, steel, lost-opportunity costs , et. al) of building the facility in the first place. [why no mention of the aluminium smelters, 'White hot Technological Revolution ... and all the other centralist 'man-in-Whitehall-knows-best' rhetoric?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:33:32 +0100 (BST) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

They are certainly big. However, they are also graceful even in large numbers.

indicates that 2MW is about the average size for turbines on sites being constructed at the moment and
indicates that this has been a fairly common size since the end of 2004.

Reply to
David Hansen

up to Rhyl. The kids love em!! teletubbies windmills !!

Reply to
Staffbull