Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

In that case they're not really "commercial wind companies" are they!?

Reply to
tinnews

I actually like the look of them. But not 30 of them planted in front of me!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's a word for that... Five letters, begins with an "N"...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes there is.

Anybody advocating these monstrosities should have them installed in their back yard.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Matt contains these words:

But only for a few minutes.

Reply to
Guy King

I'd be happy with one. Aesthetically quite nice. 30 are just clutter...!

The substation is way back from the sea. It's been there many years, but blended in fairly well. The additions to service that lot have made it a bit of a blot, too...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I rather like them. But then I thought the Allegro estate was a nice looking car.

Reply to
Guy King

Wasn't that the one that looked like a hearse?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

No, that was the Citroën DS estate, possibly the ugliest car ever made. Which considering how utterly gorgeous the saloon looked was quite a feat.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Friend of mine styled the rear end of that...

Reply to
Adrian

Andy Hall ( snipped-for-privacy@hall.nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gladly. Unfortunately, my back yard is neither big enough nor windy enough.

Reply to
Adrian

No he's not. 2MW rated wind turbines are big, *very* big. As a guide take a Jumbo jet stick an axle through the center point and mount it on the top of a pole. Most land based wind farms in this country are using turbines 1/2 to 1/3 this size.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Well tell him from me that I liked it. Jaunty upswept look with clean lines. If you lost the bumper it wasn't far off current styles.

Guy King

Reply to
Andy Hall

Geez.... I hadn't realised that the offshore ones were this enormous.

Considering that one can fit a 600MW generator into a much smaller space it makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A hearse for midgets maybe...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Me2. In fact we have one. Dungeness 'B'. OK its 40 miles way, but whats

40 miles in a reactor meltdown?

Its a tad ugly from Dunwich, but not arf so ugly as te 'sculptures' they are proposing to drop in the sea offshore.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For once I agree. I went down a coal mine once, and reckoned that anyone working at the face deserved £100k a year. Which made coal completely uneconomic.

OK if you can open cast it in bloody great buckets, but digging out 2ft high seams 2 miles underground and 5 miles from the pit head shaft is a mugs game.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are no large losses from centralised systems.

There are large losses and cost negatives from small scale ones of course.

Youy cannot remember what isn't a fact...as a fact. Or can you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I have seen a wind farm, and the area it took up to the power it generated was bloody HUGE, and although it wasn't noisy, it was bloody ugly, and I agree so are pylons and comms towers. I'd like to see then end of them too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher