Wind turbines as hurricane defences

So if they knew where Katrina would hit, they could have planted 78,000 turbines, otherwise they need 950,000 of them to cover the East and Gulf coasts ... riiight.

They seem to be working on a 50m/s cutout speed = 111mph, haven't they watched youtube?

"The potential for turbine damage is an issue"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well they're no bloody use for anything else.

Reply to
bert

Well let me say this, How would you know where to put them? after all every hurricane along the eastern seaboard comes from a different place and moves differently. as You say if you needed them all the way down the coast, it would probably change the climate there as well, just as building cities does. also think what a nightmare it would be for shipping!

I personally do not think renewables wi ill really take off until there is efficient, cheap storage of power. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff