Win10

Most home networks use the router's DHCP server and there is no guarantee that any of them (particularly ISP supplied ones) store such data in non-volatile memory. Some may, but many won't.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, I really did mean MAC address. OpenVIX's backup and restore apparently includes the MAC address and gives no warning when restoring to a new machine. Of course the DHCP server saw the MAC on the new machine and issued the reserved IP address, but then it also got a request from the old machine, using the same MAC address.

Once I knew what was going on, it was simple to change one of the MAC addresses to remove the conflict.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ok The two important ones to look at are the gateway address and the DNS server address.

I am aware of issues since they turned off SMB 1.0 by default. I had to turn it back on again to see my NAS servers. After that it seems ok.

Microsoft removed this by default due to security issues.

Reply to
Fredxx

A quick and easy test to see if this is why you can't access a share, is to ping the server. If you get a response to a ping, but no response on the share, then lack of SMB1 capability is a common cause.

Reply to
John Rumm