Will the council replace my mum's windows?

My mum lives in a council house with her elderly mother. 13 years ago when she moved in, the windows in the property were a 50-50 mix of iron frame and UPVc frame single glazed windows.

Originally the council replaced all the iron frame windows with UPVc double glazing. 5 years or so, they also changed out the UPVc single glazing for double glazing.

After 13 years, the original double glazing job is in a pretty poor state. Some of the windows are almost translucent with condensation and condensation residue and there is no way to clean them because the condensation is on the inside of the glass sealed units, between the panes.

I believe the dessication agent used in the sealed unit panes has absorbed all the moisture that they are able, and now any excess just ends up as condensation. All the windows done five years ago are still going great.

As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they are still functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation purpose - you can still see through them, it just looks like crap - they will tell her to make do?

Reply to
Jake

The responsibility for doing the work sits with the LA, but for your description they don't seem to be in a condition that requires the work to be done

whether they have the money to prioritise such an item on a voluntary basis is another matter

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Report it to them and see. Exactly as you would do for any other house maintenance issues.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would put it to the council that the 'blown' panes are in need of repair. The vacuum has failed and they don't work as designed. I wouldn't spend too much time arguing over energy efficiency (although this can be a good lever in other circumstances) - simply say your mum can't see out of them properly. If she worries about it, tell them that. Impress on them the security and anxiety side of this.

I'd just say that as soon as you mention 'condensation' they will shove a leaflet in your hand about 'using a home properly'. In most cases they'd have a point - but not in your case for the fault you've described, I think.

As above, I would impress on them that it's a defect, the unit doesn't function as it should. Get them to acknowledge this. Then, it affects quality of life. The consequences of certain building defects trigger certain responses on the repairs computer - as I say, 'security' and personal safety tends to be one category, and 'elderly vulnerable' another.

Obviously you can appeal, councillors etc - but (and you know better than most!) best not to get too fixated about the whole thing, just plod along and see what can be done, ignoring any jobsworths and red tape along the way.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

There is no vacuum to fail.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That depends very much on the state of the councils money bags. Since most councils have now been allowed to keep more of their tax money in exchange for a share of the national debt, things might be better, but the new better homes initiative will probably eat up a lot of that cash. Might be worth having the odd 'accident, with a pane or two to help it along a bit though. Its funny cos most of my, admittedly smaller gap units from the 70s have remained clear of condensation.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The self-financing regime, whereby councils can now keep rent and receipts, seems if anything to make things worse. The money either gets channelled elsewhere to make up for shortfalls, or it's set aside to pay off the debt they took on for the 'privilege' of self-financing.

Known worse to happen :-)

Mine too - 15 years since installation, apparently.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

She should ask. Chances are a surveyor will call and inspect. He will decide how many need replacing and how urgent it is. Sometimes they have work schemes planned which include windows so if planned work is to be done shortly it might not be done until that is going on.

Reply to
mogga

Councils can be odd things to deal with. When the ex gf's fence fell over (3 rotten posts and wind damage) I needed retrospective permission from the council to replace the fence posts.

Reply to
ARW

Sometimes, that's to maintain uniformity or compliance with the original design and fittings. A relative of mine got into hot water when he knocked through his kitchen/living room without council permission. Even though it was just a stud partition wall, and he had no intention of moving, they insisted on it being re-built. I could see the point if he *was* moving out - they want it back to normal and that's what they often do; leave things alone until the tenant is going to move and they inspect the premises for such 'unauthorised' modifications. The silly sod would have got permission no problem, if he'd asked for it up front.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon