Will a microwave oven interfere with a TV if placed close together?

In our new kitchen we plan to put a microwave oven on a stand attached to the wall and immediately above attach a TV to the wall (as space is at a premium).

Will the microwave interfere with the TV's reception?

Reply to
DIY Novice

Probably not directyly. If it's a CRT based TV, then it's veryl ikely to disturb the picture when it's on. LCD TVs will not be affected this way. Putting a steel box round the TV (spaced a bit away from it for ventilation) may be of use.

If you have a non-built in microwave and TV, then place one on top of the other, to get an idea. (it's the transformer in the microwave that causes this.)

"Inverter" microwaves (usually lighter and more expensive models) may not do this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have a TV 10" above the microwave and no visible or audible intereference at all - but the aerial is in the loft.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

In article , Peter Andrews writes

Why not try it and see?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ive got a chicken dinner cooking in my tv and a perfect picture on the microwave, no problems here...

Reply to
Volund

Some microwaves interfere with some televisions, but most will be OK. You can only try it and see.

But realistically, a microwave is only run for 5 minutes or so normally, so it is not a big problem for most of your viewing time. And if your microwave is as noisy as mine, then regardless of any interference, you won't be able to hear the TV while the microwave is going!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

In article , Jim Warren writes

It is more likely to sod your wireless LAN about if you have one....

Reply to
tony sayer