wiki: Backup power

GPT barely made it into the new century (renamed Marconi by then), before going bust, so it wasn't a problem for long.

I don't know what's happened to that site. It does look like it's become Ericsson's now, and still called New Century Park.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just found it. It appears that they closed that site and transferred to another close by.

Reply to
Andy Hall

IME, UPS manufacturers recommend not putting CRT monitors on them.

You should be running software to monitor the UPS and gracefully shut down the machine when the batteries start to run down.

APC provide a (vast, poorly documented, hideous) piece of software for their UPS's, but I strongly recommend the Open Source Network UPS Tools, instead;

Huge

They don't. I no longer have any CRT monitors, and all the LCD ones live on the UPS.

Reply to
Huge

Sorry, but would it be worth mentioning that many gas hobs will not operate without mains power, the gas is cut off as a safety measure if the igniter circuit is unpowered?

Reply to
Huge

thing. I assume one simply dips the carbon and steel electrodes in a pot of salty water and obtains a voltage across them? How salty should the water be?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Been there, tried that. It was responsible for more system downtime than the mains failures, completely defeating the object of running the UPS! Oh, and you forgot mention security vulnerabilities. Maybe it got better in the 10 years since I last tried it?

Solaris normally has no problem just pulling the power cord (particularly a server which is not very busy because most of its clients lost their power already), so I ditched the software and just let system die when battery ran flat. That always worked fine!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could expand into consideration of appliances which will run without electricity, if you are in an area particularly prone to power cuts.

I have a Main gas multipoint water heater which still gives me infinite hot water when the power's off, and I did have gas wall heaters, some of which work with no electricity.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dunno. I haven't tried it for that long, either.

Reply to
Huge

Ahh, some googling leads me to find that these are more usually called "iron air" batteries.

And here's how to make one;

Huge

Mg is probably banned by the guvmint in this country.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No problem:

Reply to
Rod

Frank, no offence, but is Google not working at your house?

Reply to
Huge

Thanks - will mention that.

Pete Verdon:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise more explanation was needed. Yes, its as simple as that, with several cells hooked in series. Salt concentration? I don't know, I just stuck a pinch in and it was fine. Its not critical.

Another poster:

author seems to have had a lot of trouble getting a most simple cell to work, has chosen some fairly inappropriate materials for it, and given it a wrong name.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I never use Google. :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah. Well, I'm afraid if you want to employ me to do searches for you, you'll have to pay my standard consultancy rate. :o)

Reply to
Huge

The secret here is to price yourself out of the market. That way you can't be accused of being uncooperative.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I suspect I already am. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Charm is another way ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The modern versions of powerchute ain't so bad these days.

Alas my UPSs have RS232 serial connections rather than USB, and at the time I had that particular problem I did not have enough serial connections to spare for the UPS!

Yup, most of my boxes seem to cope if that does happen.

Reply to
John Rumm