Why not compulsory water meters?

50% of users use less than average. Its normally the ones that use less than average that consider going over to meters.

Im lost for words.

No, Im careful already.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

It seems to be a policy in these parts (not sure if it is enforced by the council or more likely Anglian Water), that every time a new account is opened (i.e. a house changes hands) they insist on fitting a meter.

Depends on the cost / benefit analysis. Fitting meters is not free. There are also a large number of properties (especialy in the south east) with only one or two occupants. These will typically use less than "average" and hence be paying more for their water than they would based solely on usage. From the water co's point of view this is a "good thing"!

From a leak control POV, many companies seem to find dropping the pressure is a more cost effective stopgap measure.

Probably not, unless you count the revenue lost from low users...

Some seem to give a slight reduction in flow rate.

Reply to
John Rumm

These can be a mixed blessing IME. Some you need several flushes get the job(ie) finished!

Reply to
John Rumm

Bet you don't argue that when talking about local services or healthcare! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You could say it is an even greater risk to your property if the leak goes undetected. Especially for places built on clay soils. The resulting "heave" for excess ground water can damage foundations and cause settlement problems. The water meter may in that case save you from much bigger problems.

I am sure you can insure against underground pipework problems like this. It may be prudent to take out insurance for the first year after a meter goes in to cover this eventuality. Once you are up and running (no pun intended) cancel the insurance.

Reply to
John Rumm

That depends on the metered rate. Scottish Water charges so much for its metered water it is only worth going on a meter if you are a single person living in a mansion. Hardly an encouragement to economy.

Excuse me while I run to Tesco for some more bottled water. The tap water yesterday was black and although it is now running clear it still tastes undrinkably metallic. I had to cook last night's pasta in water from Willow Lane Huddersfield; ditto my early morning cuppa.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm glad someone else sees it that way.

Most houses are unmetered. Put simply if unmetered customers use less water then the water companies make higher profits.

Threaten unmetered customers with a meter and they soon cut down their water useage.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I had a meter at my last house. My current house has no meter.

I would prefer to remain unmetered!

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

They can also leave solid waste in sections of drainage pipes, causing problems.

The real point is, this country is not short of water, it does have a grossly inefficient distribution system were water can't easily be moved around the country and were distribution pipes sometimes resemble colanders...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Not to mention the old Victorian sewers that are still in use and need widening/replacing as they are incapable of dispersing rainwater in heavy floods.

Reply to
ben

If the whole unit is designed to be low flush then no problems. Some people only change the cistern part and then have problems.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

She does pay for it...up front. Why pay car insurance when you could pay out only when thee is a crash?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In that case perhaps you should consider a meter!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

She couldn't afford it.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Some people

So you are now proposing that the whole waste water system from pan to the main sewer is replaced, the problem with stuff being left in the pan after flushing is the least of the problems cause by Low flush toilets. But the marketing blurb skips over those facts, just as they do with Combi boilers, so we can't really expect you to know or understand....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Exactly this happened to friends of ours. They switched to a meter and were smugly telling us how much lower their bills were now, and how we should swap too, when they suddenly got a bill for 00s of GBP more than expected, due to an undeground leak on their property. So they're now reverting to unmetered, PDQ!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Some mothers have 'em don't they

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Heh! who's pipe was it, the waterboards or theirs?

If it was the Waterboards then they should have footed the bill, not the houseowner.

Reply to
ben

snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote: [snip]

Can you back this up with proof?