Why does central heating fail at Christmas?

OK so rhetorical question and a lead in to a self congratulatory piece:-)

If it isn't general knowledge, the drive motors for Honeywell 2 and 3 port valves are identical and don't seem to have changed in the last 20 years! Being an inveterate Squirrel I happened to have one from the R. Cottage strip out.

Happy Christmas to all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Something I only found out myself a few years ago!

Merry Christmas

Reply to
ARW

Is it a successor to the millennium bug?

Reply to
Scott

Why do TV's and washing machines fail 5 days after the extended warranty has expired. ?.

Reply to
Andrew

precision manufacture?

Reply to
charles

I was given a hairdryer for my 21st birthday and it lasted 35 years. Does this meet the durability test?

Reply to
Scott

Another thing worth knowing, is that you don't need to pay £30 for the genuine synchron motor, the pattern ones are fine, and cost less than £10.

Reply to
Graham.

I think if I had been given one for my 21st it would last pretty much indefinitely, or at least until it rotted away. ;-)

Didn't know men were actually allowed to use them...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Very fashion conscious at my uni - ahead of our time, in fact.

Reply to
Scott

And in these days of software controllers, easy enough to do.

Reply to
Huge

Are you bald?

Reply to
harry

Not for the full duration though!

Reply to
Scott

Because it's a bastard...

I'm running our bungalow on electric oil filled rads and a 10kW (ish) instant water heater plumbed in.

When I get CH fitted next year, I'm keeping the electric water heater, on valves, with valves to isolated the boiler.

Filling a bath in 30 minutes at 2-3 times the cost of gas is better than nothing at all :)

The oil rads will be popped in the attic too, or deployed in a shed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hair dryers were very useful for students in halls where fan heaters weren't allowed.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They're very useful for heat-shrink sleeving and softening butter straight from the fridge (in the days before microwaves)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Student flatmate was a bit weird. Didn't bother with towels, just dried off using his hair dryer and swallowed his toothpaste.

Was a veggie as well, and as far right as barking ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Our 3-port valve didn't know what the date was - it had to be replaced at the end of September!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You still have hair at age 56 ?. This is the mark of durability.

Or was this football 'hairdryer' ?.

Reply to
Andrew

A photo of me doing some work

any hairdresser would only charge me a search fee.

Reply to
ARW

You're using a level. That's not allowed for a pro. You're supposed to place them randomly :)

Reply to
Tim Watts