Why does cement mixer trip RCD?

Was selling my cement mixer yesterday, and when selling, tried to show it to the buyer working in the shed. when plugged in and switched on, it just tripped the RCD. I reset it and it happened again. Finally when connected to the house supply via extension lead i was able to show him it working.

Why did the RCD trip. It wasn't damp or anything yesterday evening?

I now want to put a washing machine in the shed. Will this cause the RCD to trip?

Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
lavenders19

Was it a 2-wire extension cable?

The lack of an earth wire could have masked an earth leakage fault that really was present in the mixer.

If that was the case then mixer may be dangerous and it might be prudent to contact the buyer asap.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Moisture somewhere in the eelctrics would be the number one susspect, followed by faulty/degraded wiring in the mixers motor or switch gear.

I presume the socket you powered it from in the house via the extension lead was not RCD protected? If it was then you could have a fault in the shed wiring.

If you power other appliances in the shed do they work ok? If not then it may be a problem with the shed wiring. So long as the shed is dry and waterproof then there is no reaon why you should not be able to use a device with a RCD.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's an single-phase induction motor with a starter winding and centrifugal switch, then dirt in the motor in the region of the switch (usually at the back end of the motor) can lead to earth leakage. Stripping and cleaning the motor might effect a cure.

Not if the machine is in good condition.

Reply to
Andy Wade

thanks for the replies guys.

The shed is RCD protected and was connected directly to the mixer. The house is NOT RCD protected and was connected with a 2-wire extension cable. The mixer was quite old.

I have previously in the past connected electric heaters and power tools via an extension cable with no problems in my shed, as well as a kettle etc. The mixer was quite old which could have caused problems.

I am due to pick up my washing machine at the weekend so will need to connect it up and give it a try.

Reply to
lavenders19