Why do I have no sympathy for these people?

I swear there are 100,000s of "propa Bri'ish" who are not really British and will discover it the hard way. This is going to be Windrush x 1000! I love it when people shoot themselves in the foot.

"Emma has spent her whole life thinking she was a British citizen.

Born in the UK to a Portuguese mother, she has only ever lived here and has a British birth certificate.

So it came as a huge surprise when the 22-year-old's request for a British passport was rejected.

Following Brexit, EU citizens living in the UK were offered the chance to apply for settled status.Woman, 22, faces being deported despite living in the UK all her life

Emma was born in the UK, has a British birth certificate, but may not be able to stay."

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

What is a Bitish birth cetficate.?

Reply to
Smolley

Don't ask me, I have no idea. But this is what happened to the Windrush people. They never left the country and they thought they were British because they were born here. This is what happens in countries where national IDs are banned.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

A birth certificate issued by British authorities certifying that the person was born in Britain (and perhaps some colonies).

The Windrush people weren't born here, they came here as children on their parents' passports, which were presumably lost or replaced here, so, when adults, they had no way to prove the weren't recent immigrants.

Reply to
Max Demian

What about Portugal? I do have sympathy myself, mainly because the authorities make it so hard for you to figure out what your status is. So I did not think you could be made stateless. If not entitled to a UK passport, surely she should be able to get a Portuguese one and as she has lived here all her life then she should be able to stay. If she stays a certain time then she should be able to get a British passport. Seems to me that the left hand does not know what the right one is doing when it comes to the law of citizenship. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd say she was lucky as she almost certainly qualifies for a passport from Portugal, giving full EU access denied to us unfortunate enough to live in a country where 51% of misguided people voted to leave the EU. Huge numbers of people would pay a lot for an EU passport and many have.

She then just has to sort out her right to live in the UK but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply to
Clive Page

Of FFS leave your bigotry in the toilet where it belongs. There were good reasons for staying and good reasons for leaving and the evidence is that the misguided were in fact those that believed the government the BBC and the Guardian and voted to stay.

I know its hard to admit you were lied to and made a fool of, but them's the facts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is she entitled to a Portuguese passport?

If she is deported, to which country do the UK authorities plan to send someone who has only ever lived in the UK?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

We were not misguided, just fed up of the lack of infrastructure, such as housing, that doesn't match the population explosion.

Best not to live in the past and move forward like the rest of us.

Good for them.

Reply to
Fredxx

Everybody assumes that she is, but I have my doubts. She surely wouldn't get an automatic Italian passport if her parents were Italian but born abroad.

Rwanda?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

She might have voted for Brexit, thinking of getting rid of all the immigrants. I have met a few 2nd and 3rd gen so called "Italians" who voted for Brexit.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Do you actually have a British passport or did you come off the boat?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Pot.Kettle.Black.

Reply to