Why can't I cut worktop with jigsaw?

Apart from cutting out sink holes, you should just forget the jigsaw and use a handsaw for all other worktop cuts, learn to cut straight and then finish with a block end plane for a nice finish on wood or to give a good surface to iron on the edging strip. To be honest I generally only use a jig saw where the cut surface can't be seen and I don't care about the blade wander. If you must use a jigsaw the first thing to do is to get the blade guard out of the way so you can see what you are doing. If you take care then with the blade guard out of the way you should still manage not to remove any fingers or larger limbs/extremities.

Fash

Reply to
Stephen Fasham

Thanks to you and all other posters for the advice. I have now made a couple of near-perfect straight cuts with a handsaw, and cleared up most of mess from the jigsaw failures with a router. I'll use the jigsaw only when essential, with proper blades, eg for the sink cutout.

Reply to
rrh

Why not giive the circular saw a go? You should get absolutely perfect cuts with that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

May do. But what I ended up with today was just fine. And I need the exercise...

Reply to
rrh

This one's it. Jig blades will always bend a little, its the nature of a jigsaw with a small unsupported blade. When that happens, if you dont steer the saw correctly, what you describe will occur. To be honest jigs are about the worst choice of saw for any job where you can use any other kind.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

just remember to always cut with the worktop face down when using a circular saw and cut from front to back to avoid/reduce chipping of the laminate

Reply to
Simon