Why....

...do light switches go down for on (in the UK) but circuit breakers go up?

If there's a compelling logic, why isn't it the same all round the world?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't know, but there must be a good reason.

You could always install the light switches upside down to have uniformity in your home though. ;)

Reply to
Richard

For circuit breakers, I would have thought that up for on is marginally safer (less likely to be inadvertently turned on as a consequence of gravity, when something is dropped and knocks the switch). For light switches, the previously referred to safety consideration is less of an issue, so it boils down to convenience (groping in the dark, it's generally an easier motion to sweep your hand down a surface to actuate a switch, rather than up)

Bill.

Reply to
bill.shitner

Switches have to be up one way or another. Intermediates can be either of course.

Sometimes what is important is uniformity, not absolute position. Like driving on the left.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will also need to turn all your switched 13A sockets up the other way as well. Interesting that cars throughout the world have push buttons with an LED for on/off type applications.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

And then there are two- and three-way switches, and when the light bulb blows you never know whether the circuit is live or not.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Whilst in the home an increasing proportion of electrical equipment has a red LED illuminated when the kit is off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Cars used to have rocker switches, and ISTR that down was usually on in cars in this country.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It probably also follows a convention before modern flat switch activators and light switches were toggle style. Easier to switch down in the dark?

Reply to
alan_m

Er, all of my electrical equipment only has any form of illumination when the kit is actually on.

What I have observed recently is some manufactures have started to realise that eye burning laser LEDS are not required to indicate the powered state of the equipment and have drastically toned down the brightness to a dull glow.

Reply to
alan_m

ISTR an era when toggle switches were often seen (and down for on as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

Then ultra-long toggle switches ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

TV, sound bar woofer, digital radio tuner all show red when off.

The most pointless is the Humax PVR. The Illumination changes from red to blue when you turn it on, unless it is recording, when the red glow becomes slightly brighter. This means that if you come to it you never really know what state it is in.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well something I've always wondered about as well. I've heard many explanations, but in the end it seems its a mixture of different national practices, and little else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Didn't use to. Can remember toggle switches all over my MGs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or fit push button ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Or fit push button ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes, you could even get long ones, supposedly to make them easier to reach, or Paddy Hopkirk ones with (slightly) radioactive glow tubes on their ends so you could find them at night.

I wonder how many ended up embedded in the occupants after a crash?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Direction indicators headlamps and windscreen stuff?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But most of my switches are rocker types, not the old bakelite toggles traditionally seen in pre war housing. Thus moving down is not the action its more of a press at the bottom. Likewise with circuit breakers, surely if these were recessed with a cover it would be almost impossible to operate them accidentally. The very first circuit breaker we found here on the mains input was a huge great handle that moved through 180 degrees and no way could you knock it either way as it rested in line with the box in either position.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)